1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Michael Hedge's Aerial Boundaries

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by PRUNEFACE, Nov 17, 2008.

1. What kind of bass was used during the recording of this album (particularly After the Gold Rush)? Also, if the brand or type of strings is known that'd be great too.

Thanks

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    That was an old J-bass style instrument I made myself out of parts. I don't recall the strings -- either D'Addario XL's or GHS Boomers.

3. vin97

vin97

Mar 7, 2016
    Germany
    Sorry to dig up this old thread but were there any special setup things or effects used to achieve that incredibly smooth sound?
    I have no idea how you would get such a singing overtone-rich sound but at the same time have absolutely zero string buzz. To my ears, it actually sounds closer to a "fake fretless" than to any recording of an actual fretless I have ever listened to.

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks for the kind words, vin97! I'm sorry to say I don't think there's any real secret in this. I listened again this morning to jog my memory and I can hear they applied some chorus in the mix -- likely an old rack unit such as the Dytonics Tri-chorus or maybe the TC 2290 (this was the 80's!), but it's not that big a part of the sound. I hear a bit of string buzzing there, but my old do-it-yourself bass was passive and had a pretty dark tone so that helps mask it. Also, it sounds like my strings are a bit past their prime; it's likely I didn't have a chance to change them as this was a spur of the moment session! I hope that helps...

vin97 likes this.
  5. vin97

vin97

Mar 7, 2016
    Germany
    Wow, didn't expect such a quick answer.
    Alright, rolling the tone down quite a bit and using some delay already got me closer, the rest is technique I guess.
    Thanks a lot!
    ...Hope to see you play one day.