1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Michael Henderson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chicago_mike, Apr 11, 2009.

1. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Hey all,

I'm looking for any video's of Mike. Post Miles solo career too.
    A friend has a bootleg he made of Mike , and the opening song is just absolutely disgusting!:bassist:

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Check out Youtube. You are officially cool for liking Michael Henderson. I think he is one of the most fantastic bassists to ever walk the planet. He is also a heckuva singer and songwriter. There is something in the water in Detroit. That place has turned out way more that its share of monster players going back to Ron Carter and Jamie Jamerson all the way to Terrance Palmer and Fred Hammond.:bassist:

3. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Valentine Love from the 70s is among the most underrated slow jams of all time.

4. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    I got a lot of stuff from youtube, mostly his miles work. ANd some later or almost current stuff.

My first miles davis record had Mike on it ( On the Corner) and I dug his style ever since.

5. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    Well said, Dr Cheese. There's magic in the D!

Michael Henderson is HUGE, James Jamerson and Marvin Gaye in the same man!!

Finding a video of his '76 - '82 period would make my day. (I've always wondered what basses he was playing at that time)

6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Now there is a name I had forgotten about... Man.. yeah he is a great player.. I remember when he used to do a lot pf stuff with Phylis Hyman as well...

7. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    his track happy from in the night time has some tast licks..wonder if he ever played it live.

8. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Another underrated bass player, he had one heck of a Voice. I was just grooving to "TAKE ME, I'M YOURS" and "YOU ARE MY STARSHIP" I wish I knew the bass he was playing on those songs!

I just gotta say, I grew up on songs like those, and the group Maze..etc....the way those guys put together songs are time tested and is still touch you in a certain way that most of the crap today cannot.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    One his basses was a fretless Alex Axe bass that was made in Detroit. Michael Henderson first mentions Alex Axe in the liner notes of Going Places and he is pictured with the fretless on the cover of Wide Reciever. Here is a picture of the fretted version being used in a lip synch by GQ:

11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    great bassist and steel player (he's done a ton of steel sessions). i love "assault with a friendly weapon" off of the album Fickle.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's Friendly Weapon.:)

13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    haha, thanks. noted and changed. haha

14. lovesbass

lovesbass

May 16, 2009
    You guys aren't the only ones into Michael Henderson style...So did TUPAC! Remember the song he did, "You Gotta Get Yours, I Gotta Get Mine?" That bass lick is from the Henderson song, "SOLID"! go to the MICHAEL HENDERSON MYSPACE... www.myspace.com/essentialmichaelhenderson THE RAPPERS THAT HAVE USED HENDERSON BASS LINES...IT BLEW MY MIND! HENDERSON PLAYED ON ALL THE DRAMATICS STUFF...NOW RAPPERS LIKE JAY-Z ARE USIN' HIS BASS LINES AND NOT EVEN KNOWING WHERE THEY CAME FROM!!!

15. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Bass looks like an s.d.curly too.

16. lovesbass

lovesbass

May 16, 2009
    check out 18 year old mike killing it with stevie live lp 1970 talk of the town uk blew my mind

17. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    ABSOLUTELY !!!

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I like this little play along for You are My Starship it shows just how creative Michael Henderson's basslines can be:

19. lovesbass

lovesbass

May 16, 2009
    Win 2 tickets to see, hear and experience "Michael Henderson's...Electric Miles"!
    A whole 3 nights of Fresh Fusion, Funk, Jazz!!!
    Playing London's Ronnie Scott's September 21-23! Details on winning those tickets can be found at www.bassmagazine.org I wish I could go!!

20. Thanks for the You Are My Starship link Cheese - tasty! I really dig how these lines work, especially in a slow tune - the chrods are sweet too.

J