Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Jackson

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ras1983, Apr 9, 2005.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't care what anyone says about him. Billy Jean is the best way to explain to anyone that all you need is a bass and a drumkit to make a groove that mooves! :cool:

I also have to mention thriller, bad, gotta be starting somethin, CAN'T STOP TILL YOU GET ENOUGH, i mean isn't that one of the funkiest things you have ever heard? ;)

Mates, almost every song of his is simply a groove-fest. Am I wrong? AM I WRONG? :D

2. The 'man' is incredibibly talented. So talented that he's been handed everything he wants for a long time now. I think if that happened to me I'd get bored w/all the things that were available, & start looking at things I'm not supposed to have. I'm glad I don't have everything I want. That would be boring. But he IS(was?)a funky individual.

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    bassteban, its true. he's sheltered from reality by his fantasy world. atleast his bass lines rocked!

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    MJ didn't write all those basslines...a guy named Rod Temperton wrote a few for both Off The Wall & Thriller.
    Temperton was the keyboardist & principal composer for Heatwave...in case you haven't noticed, most of Heatwave's tunes have memorable bass hooks. "Boogie Nights", "The Groove Line", "Eyeballin'", "One Night Tan", "Ain't No Half Stepping", "Razzle Dazzle", "Therm Warfare", etc

MJ & the J5 also used the cream-of-crop bassists-
    Jamerson, Will Lee, Louis Johnson, Bobby Watson of Rufus, Nathan Watts, etc.
    ...and then there's the keyboard bass of guys like Gregg Phillanganes.

If you like MJ's classic solo stuff(up to Thriller, IMO)...the J5's Deztiny is a must-have.

5. J5 was my favorite MJ era.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    His later stuff was pretty awful. But early MJ was great. I think that skin bleach got to his brain.

7. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Something happened to him.He was a normalish guy but something went wrong.Great early music though!

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It all started going downhill with "Ben." Maybe young boys are a surrogate for the rat of his dreams.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

It's rare that I LOL... but sometimes... you know.... I gotta.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you ever get bored playing bass, pick up the jackson 5's greatest hits. Terrific basslines . . . smokin grooves by great players. Without those basslines, those songs would have been dogfood.

11. He may be plastic and look more like Dianna Ross but he's made some unparalleled music that rocks with you.