Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Kelly Dragonfly owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lbwdog, Dec 31, 2005.

1. I'm considering a Dragonfly fretless 4 but haven't played one. Looking for feedback from owners or anyone who has hands on experience with one.

2. Heh, I first discovered the fretless growl when I accidently picked up the fretless model. Good sound, I'd say....

But that said, I was in the ABG market this summer and got a good deal on a Dean Performer Plus 4-stringer- and the guys who sold it to me at Apple Music Row in Portland, Oregon, mentioned that the Michael Kellys had a lot of setup problems or somesuch. I know that from my experience, the fret noise on a fretted model is quite frequent. :eyebrow:

Just my .02. Be sure to try out other ABGs! :hyper:

3. I have a Michael Kelly 4 string acoustic Dragonfly bass and love it. Is plays well, sounds great unplugged and looks cool.

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I tried out the five string fretless model and it sounded great. Not too expensive either. Quilted maple top, nice inlays etc. I may just buy one.

Graeme

5. trtlpowr

trtlpowr

Jul 11, 2009
    I've been doing a bit of research on this model myself, and am seriously thinking of getting one. The only problem that's mentioned a lot in the reviews is that there's some minor buzzing, due to the size of the vine inlays. But the inlays themselves are so beautiful, I'd say it's worth it.
    I've got a question for anyone who owns one, though. I bought a cheap acoustic fretted bass a couple years ago, only to realize once I got home that there was no place to hook a strap to the bass. Does the Dragonfly have anything I can hook a strap to?

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I had the fretless 5. Not a bad bass. I put some black nylon flats onto it which sounded really good but weren't a perfect fit (I think the B was a 135 so the nut had to be filed a little to fit). It played well for the money. I heard some complaints of neck issues when they first started popping up in musiciansfriend, but I went for it anyways and it turned out to be a pretty nice bass.

7. gaffster787

gaffster787

Aug 22, 2009
    FLORIDA
    i have had a four string fretless for about 5 years. great tone, way different than any solidbody. i use phospher-bronze. no buzz on it, but the inntonation was off a bit and by pushing the strings sideways on the bridgepiece it is sorta adjustable. straplug is the input jack. great for folky music, very very deep, lots of highs, some growl, maybe not enough mids to fight a marshall stack. thing is a work of art and hangs in my den. the inlays changed every year.. loud enuff unplugged to hang with one acoustic, guitar

8. sam staples

sam staples

Feb 26, 2010
    I have a fretless I love it but it needs to be set up but what great looking bass and it sounds good I don't think you can go wrong for the money.and you can stap it on I have played it threw my eden four ten and my swr it sounded great on either Rig...Sam

9. thrakkor

thrakkor

Apr 5, 2005
    OH
    i have a 5 string fretted DFly. nat finish. thing is beautiful.

i play the ph bronze strings, Carvin ones last time i replaced them.

just loud enough if you dig in to compete with 1 acoustic twanger.