Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Manring's best work.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Samelot, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Samelot

Samelot

Jun 23, 2005
    hi, im trying to get into Michael Manring, but im not sure where i can find his best work. Can someone give me a list of their favriote songs and cds by him. And also does anyone know when this guy started playing bass? thx and goodbye.

2. Samelot

Samelot

Jun 23, 2005
    and also, does he play everything on one track, or does he loop his music. Because i dont see how eh can possibly play that much stuff at once?!?

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I really like the track 'dromedary' off 'the book of flame'

most of the book of flame is pretty great. I also like his first album 'unusual weather' quite a bit, though it's not really a bass heavy album.

He does some looping, some one-track, some multi track..etc. it's a mix.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think his work with David Cullen on Equilibre is his best work in a "typical" bassist's role. He still solos, takes the melody, etc. throughout the whole disc, but it's more of a standard duet album, as opposed to his solo discs which often branch out with lots of bass tracks taking on many different roles, or solo pieces with multiple parts being played simultaneously.

For his solo work, I think his recent "Soliloquoy" album is his best, particularly when you read about what each song's theme is about and then listen to how he tried to accomplish it. The "Book of Flame" album has a couple really fantastic solo tracks on it as well, amidst many quirky robo-funk tunes, which are pretty cool as well.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah he consistently gotten better over the years, although Thonk is an amazing album.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I cant say that this is his best work, but I have been digging the DiPiazza-Carbonne-Manring trio bass CD!

7. "Drastic Measures" is still my favorite.

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    "Thonk" is amazing. BoF is good too and so is his new solo disc "Soliloquey" (sp?)

But his Attention Defecit stuff is really awsome too. It's like Thonk continued.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I got into Manring early on in his career in 1989 and bought his first solo album Unusual Weather which was a much mellower sounding album, as it came out on Windham Hill records and Manring was their studio bassist at the time. I think it's a brilliant recording and I hope there will be enough demand to get it back into print.

While on Windham Hill, he was in a band called Montreux with Mandolin/Guitarist Mike Marshall and Violonist Darol Anger. The group wrote their own compositions and Manring contributed a few. Manring wrote the title track on their Sign Language album. There's another good album called {i]Let Them Say.[/i] and tracks from those two and other albums are compiled on The Best of Montreux

Drastic Measures is a favorite of mine too.

10. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    drastic measures, I believe, is his most ground-breaking. I remember seeing him play 'Watson & Crick' live at a clinic and then on his instructional video - unbelieveable.

Close second is his contribution to a CD by Darol Anger and Mike Marshall - called chiaroscuro, I think (it's at work right now - otherwise I'd look it up) Track 3 or 4 has like a 2 minute bass solo which literally made me pull over the first time I heard it.

Unbelieveable

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    There is a tribute album to Miles Davis's early 70's bands called 'Yo Miles' that has Michael playing in a more groove style. I've been listening to it a lot lately, it's a different side of Manring.....very cool :bassist:

12. That's my favorite Manring to listen too as well, the solo stuff I listen to for inspiration but it also make me feel really small as a player.