Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael's 10 String Zon

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by CurbowPete, Jun 5, 2005.

1. CurbowPete

CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    USA
    Anybody have pictures of this beast? I've been really curious about it ever since the first time I heard "The Fire Sermon", (one of my favorite solo pieces).

-Pete

2. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    hum? You mean a doubled 5 right? Or... :eek:

3. There was a picture of it in an old BP piece on him. Unfortunately, all I find online is a cr*ppy shrunken version from an online Thai music site, but it looks like a Legacy with a dark top, gold hardware, and a Steinberger-style bridge/tuner (for the octave strings?) as well as the 5 tuners on the headstock.

Mike

4. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I remember that old article. As I recall he doesn't tune it like a normal doubled string instrument in octaves (of course...it's Michael!). From what I remember they all have different tunings. He plays it in the artist's profile dvd. Might be the song you mentioned... can't remember. I'm horrible with titles. It's always track # for me!

5. CurbowPete

CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    USA
    Yes a doubled 5

-Pete

6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    You guys are right -- my 10-string is a doubled five with the high strings being tuned at the bridge. Joe Zon cleverly included this feature so that guitar strings, which are normally too short to fit on a bass, could be used for the high set. This gives access to many more string gauges than we bassists have. It’s also true that I tune this bass in some unusual ways. In fact, there’s a piece on my new CD where each pair is tuned to a different interval!