Michael's 10 String Zon

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by CurbowPete, Jun 5, 2005.

1. CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    Anybody have pictures of this beast? I've been really curious about it ever since the first time I heard "The Fire Sermon", (one of my favorite solo pieces).

2. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    hum? You mean a doubled 5 right? Or... :eek:
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    There was a picture of it in an old BP piece on him. Unfortunately, all I find online is a cr*ppy shrunken version from an online Thai music site, but it looks like a Legacy with a dark top, gold hardware, and a Steinberger-style bridge/tuner (for the octave strings?) as well as the 5 tuners on the headstock.

4. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I remember that old article. As I recall he doesn't tune it like a normal doubled string instrument in octaves (of course...it's Michael!). From what I remember they all have different tunings. He plays it in the artist's profile dvd. Might be the song you mentioned... can't remember. I'm horrible with titles. It's always track # for me!
  5. CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    Yes a doubled 5

6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    You guys are right -- my 10-string is a doubled five with the high strings being tuned at the bridge. Joe Zon cleverly included this feature so that guitar strings, which are normally too short to fit on a bass, could be used for the high set. This gives access to many more string gauges than we bassists have. It’s also true that I tune this bass in some unusual ways. In fact, there’s a piece on my new CD where each pair is tuned to a different interval!