mick karn, give me some good stuff

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Sep 15, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    after watching the new failure golden dvd and seeing teh way greg edwards played his wal and the fretless in general he mentioned mick karn, im interested. what are some karn things i can get my hands on?
  2. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Yeah . . Mick is cool. Very slinky lines on the fretless. He's really an anti-bassist. He doesn't know a bit of theory and doesn't see himself as an influential voice on the instrument.

Thing is - his work is spotty IMHO. I own a few of his CDs and they aren't my thing. BUT - there is a "best of" CD called Mick Karn Collectors Edition - that really kills! Great stuff on there.

I'd get this as a good intro to Mick's work - and then stick your toe in with other stuff.

3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  4. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    hey yall thanks. ill definately look into that.

its nice to know that not every musician that is famous i guess is the word knows and lives by theory.
  5. PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Also check out:

Dali's Car - 'The Waking Hour' (1984) -- collab with Pete Murphy of Bauhaus...some of Karn's best work
    Masami Tsuchiya - 'Rice Music' (1982) -- just amazing. good luck finding it
    Mick Karn - 'Bestial Cluster' (1992) -- probably his best solo album

And get every Japan album.
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    There's a Failure DVD?
  7. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    That's what I want to know too. Not for me - I hate 'em, but my ex-guitarist will be all over it.

Does Greg have any chops on the bass, can Ken hold a note, and can Kelly dude hold a beat? I'm dying to know.
  8. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea there is a failure dvd. its available only through cd baby. and those guys are bad ass. its a great dvd. definately worth it. those guys are great great great musicians. no doubt about it. yea man check it out. its called failure-golden. good stuff.
  9. Andrew_Pouska

Jul 27, 2004
    Houston, TX
    After Karn's album Titles was released he was voted best bass player I think in Bass Player magazine. That one is good, but it sounds very 80's with the drum machines and all.

I really like the Tooth Mother. I've sadly seen it in the cutout bin at CD shops. It has some very bizarre stuff. Also sax player David Liebman plays on one track. It's a pretty atmospheric track - no wild bebop solos.

If you like electronica at all, Yoshiro Hanno meets Mick Karn is really good.

Lastly, Polytown with Terry Bozzio, David Torn and Karn is pretty darn good, too. It's quite different compared to the solo projects.

I don't like Dreams of Reason that much.

The Collector's Edition would be a good starting point, but then you have a track or two from all the good albums. That always irritates me. I'd start with Tooth Mother and Polytown. That should give you a good idea if you want to get more of his stuff.

10. PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    I think 'Titles' has some really cool, weird bass playing, but it tends to be somewhat repetitive. I'd start with 'Bestial Cluster', which is similar to 'The Tooth Mother' but a little more accessible I think. The title song is great! I like 'Dreams of Reason', but definitely not for the bass playing, as it only has bass on like 3 tracks! His newest one, 'More Better Different' is worth checking out as well. It's not great, but it does have some awesome songs. "The Show" and the first two tracks are up there with his best stuff. And it's definitely better than his last album 'Each Eye a Path', which was really slow and depressing and lacking in bass.

The one difference between Karn and Percy Jones (besides their different playing styles of course), is that Karn has put out some good solo albums and he plays on more accessible albums. Jones tends to stick to fusiony stuff, which at times can get a little cheesy. I mean there's no way I'd listen to Brand X if it wasn't for the bass playing. I think he's at his best when he plays in an experimental pop setting. Because he gives the songs so much more punch, and he can let loose with everything he's got for the shorter song length. In fusion tracks, his ideas are more spread out and not as in your face. My favorite work of his is on the album 'Night Mirage' by Ippu-Do. His bass playing pops in and out and is all over the place, adding to the crazy feel of the music. And fretless bass and steel pans is one of the best combos.

I mean, really, would any of us care about a band like Tunnels if it weren't for Percy? I think John Goodsall's guitar is really cheesy and outdated and wanky.
  11. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Liquid Glass (Hanno meets Karn) is excellent stuff. I would like to hear more collaborations between the two of them.

PSouth, don't forget Phil's druming in Brand X -- I only have "Product" but there's some outstanding stuff on there.

Finally, FYI - The Mick Karn Collection was released by CMP against Mick's wishes, I believe. I'm not certain, but use that info as you see fit.