Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mick Karn

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Feb 18, 2006.

1. In last month's Bass Player Mag, there was a small article with Mick Karn. Pretty inspirational for those non-reading musicians and those with no theory training. I downloaded this guy's 8 songs from his Web site----it's certainly different. I dig it.

Anyone else like him?

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Definately marches to his own drummer.

I love him.

3. pafriend

pafriend

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mick has always been my favorite bassist. His solo stuff can be a bit too much at times for some folks, so be sure to listen to the work he has done with other artists. His work with Kate Bush and Masami Tsuchiya is great stuff.

4. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    His whole deal is that he has his own style and doesn't sound like anybody else, really (although Duran Duran ripped off huge chunks of Japan's sound). Yuo have to admire someone who has forged his own sound. If you're going to start digging into his past, don't miss out on Japan- VERY artsy fartsy music with vocalist David Sylvian. It was kind of an art school interpretation of Bowie's Berlin trilogy, but with weirder synth sounds. Also, the album Dali's Car is a classic.

Interetsing thing about Mick Karn: he plays octaves with his first two fingers- on a fretless. just something I noticed.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    very unique cat Mick Karn is. His stuff with Japan and Kate Bush is very talented.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I've just got into Mick Karn too.
    Great stuff.
    A real nack of playing behind a singer.
    Anybody got a fretless Wal for sale?????

7. luciferrising

luciferrising

Aug 20, 2008
    Yeah, great sound, great touch, but...anybody knows where to find some tabs?

8. Huge fan of Japan! Influenced me greatly as a keyboard player and in my songwriting. Mick Karn's playing with them is tops!
    I'll have to revisit their stuff now that I'm playing bass! Where did I store that VINYL? :)

9. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I've been a huge Karn fan since the mid-1980's when Tom Dube turned me on to Dali's Car and the Japan "best of" compilation Exorcising Ghosts. Fanstastically unique voice on the bass, there really is no one else like him...although it once occurred to me that if you took Percy Jones, then subtracted everything about Percy that resembled Jaco Pastorius, then took what was left over & played it backwards, you'd have Mick Karn. Maybe.

Check out his first solo album Titles...brilliant stuff.

Indeed...although, in his first Bass Player Magazine interview which came out right around the release of The Tooth Mother he talked about working with David Torn and Bill Bruford (they toured as Torn's quartet after Cloud About Mercury, and appear together on Torn's Door X album), and Karn admitted his lack of formal training was an obstacle to smooth productivity. Karn would play a note and Bill or David would suggest he play a different note (eg. "a half step flatter") and Karn would look at them like they had three heads until David would physically grab Mick's finger and push it to the spot on the fingerboard where the note they wanted was.

I saw Mick on tour with Mark Isham around 1987 or '88 (in an awesome band that also included David Torn & Terry Bozzio) and it was almost uncomfortable for me to watch Mick's technique...or lack thereof. Both his left and right hands are so not what "textbook" bass players are supposed to use that it was visually distracting!

But man, close your eyes and the schidt he plays is just so freakin' cool it wouldn't matter if he was an idiot savant who flails against the bass strings with his pecker.