1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

microphone for the cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabbass, May 2, 2006.

1. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    hi
    which is,in your opinion, the best microphone I can use to amplify my cabinet? I have always used the D.I. but now I'd like to try a mic....
    I'm searching an hi-fi mic because I want to preserve the real tone of my rig....
    what do you think about an Audix D4 ?
    let me know....thanks

2. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Audix are good mics. I've used Sennheisers 421s and i like them very much. I see people using them all the time for miking bass cabs.

I hope this helped.

3. I've used the Audix D6 for live and recording. I think it's a great mic. And around $190.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    the D4 is terrific. nice flat neutral'ish response.

but the D6, while awesome for my bass drum sounds, didnt sound too good for my bass guitar cabs. might have been me adding low mids into a mic that already has a ton of low mids.

so, if you like a mid shy kinda sound, the D6 would help you. if you like to EQ extensively on your bass, the D4 is more your speed.

5. Plus about one million. Love the Audix D-4 on a bass cab - do NOT love the D-6 on anything but kick drum (where it shines, obtw).

Jay

6. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    can't speak for any other mics, but i've had great luck with an akg d112. has a slight bump @4khz to help cut in the mix- sounded great live, although my drummer was always trying to borrow it!

7. AKG D112!!!!! They kill live. I think it actually sounds a little better if you run one channel direct and one through a mic and mix the two.

8. I own the Audix D3, D4, and numerous other mics that do the job.

As noted above, the D4 has a broad, flat response that covers the bass region quite well. Proximity effect is pronounced with this mic, as it is hypercardioid. Bleed rejection is excellent. Unlike my ATM25s, the D4 has sufficient high frequency response for bass cabs and harmonics.

If you have access to an ElectroVoice RE20 or RE27, both have significantly less proximity effect due to their design. Both are much more expensive than a D4.

Micing a bass cab can be problematic, due to missing the tweeter or mid-bass driver output. It is especially problematic on 3-way systems such as the Accugroove cabs. When you move the mic back far enough to hear all three drivers, it is then hearing a lot of stage noise. The advantage of close micing is lost.

I prefer DI, but this cuts the nuts off those players whose entire rig, including cabs, is the defining part of their tone.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    ahhhh, good points...

10. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    thank you very much for your help guys !
    at this moment I could try the akg d112....my drummer owns it but now he's playing with the shure so he doesn't use it....I could try it...it should be a great mic for sure....
    now I'm playing with the epi UL410 and I like its tone...
    I think the audix should be more hi-fi...
    maybe if I use the mic instead of the D.I. I can have more "cutting through the mix"....are you agree?

11. The end result depends on the capabilities of your PA system. And the skills of the FOH operator.

12. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1000.

I would try the D112, just because you can and because it's always important to do your own experimentation when possible.

But if you can manage to find someone who plays like you to play through your rig with your band at a venue so you can get a somewhat accurate test of how it sounds, you'll most likely discover that the FOH guy is going to make it sound how it needs in order to fit in with the band. If you manage to hear that situation in multiple venues with multiple FOH people, you'll also find that what works for the overall mix will depend on his skill level and ear.

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Not to mention the port!

14. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I have had fun using an RE20 or even an SM57... both with great results... my favorite in my home studio is an AKG414 condenser.... but it picks up everything, even the dish washer at the other end of the house...

15. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I've never miked a bass cab, but I could definately see a MD421 in that function. A U409 could also probably sound good. This beeing said, in general situations, mikes aren't usualy the best choices. I would say best is a post out pre-amp section, 2nd is a pre-out, 3rd is DI, and mics could also be used. But this is MY personal opinion.

16. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    sure sl-7

17. My old drummer used the akg d112 and it had a good thumpwhack and it didn't get boomy micing a vistalite bassdrum with an aquarian superkick II head. It should work well for micing a bass cab.

18. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    yes I agree...it depends on the capabilities of the PA and the operator too....no great rig can work well if the PA and/or the operator aren't good.....
    anyway, now I want to try the AKG D112 and then I will see if it's ok for my need....thank you all for the moment !
    I will let you know...

19. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I have had questions about the Audix D4, and many have seemed to be answered. I have a few more:

My sound is based on my Spector Euro 5 LX (Bartolini pickups and Neck-Thru body) going through an Ampeg SVT 2 PRO,
    (300 watts all-tube) and an Ampeg 810e. The sound is growly, punchy, thick and authoritative. I want to capture that sound and combine it with my Direct sound off of the bass to the PA system. I know my 810e does not deliver lows too well below 50hz, so the direct tone will make sure my low end is present in a live situation. Is the Audix D4 good at capturing the true essence of a bass player's rig/my rig? I don't mind if the mic alters a my tone a little, I just want the majority of the attack and character of my bass to come through clearly in the PA System. Lastly, does the Audix D4 exhibit a proximity effect? How close does it need to be to my 810e to get: 1. the cabinet's sound 2. Reject other sources. and/or 3. Lower proximity effect.

Please help me out. I know some questions have been answered about the Audix D4, but I would like to hear them again! Everytime I talk about this mic to Guitar Center or Samash, they roll their eyes and tell me that the D4 really sucks and will not give me a great basst tone! I don't know what to believe anymore. Thanks everyone.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    just listen/read us. we know what we're talking about. :p