1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Microphone Setup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jonathan Fisher, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Are any of you using microphones only to amplify your sound? If so what are you using?

I have been using a Sure Beta 56a microphone padded and set under the bridge and running it through a D-Tar Solstice pre-amp to a JBL powered monitor. It sounds great and is loud enough to be heard with loud drummers. I have also been using an MXL large diaphragm condenser mic to a PA system with no amp which also sounds great in certain settings. I have been looking to buy an Electro Voice re20 next. After hearing how great these microphones sound, I just can't use pick ups anymore.

Please let me know your thoughts.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Jonathan,
    I've had my tried my share of miniature condenser microphones. Currently, for FOH I'm fond of the DPA 4099B. It's easy to mound, especially with the new DVote version. I have moved to an Ehrlund EAP and Preamp for most of my gigs. It's a surface mounted "linear microphone" that sounds very natural on my bass. Unfortunately, they just took a considerable price bump. Gollihur Music does offer them on a trial basis, where you can audition one and return it within 7 days.

Ric

If I had unlimited funds I would probably go with a Schoeps CMC6 + MK41 Capsule. I've heard Larry Grenadier use that set up live. It sounds wonderful. He also uses the "Really Nice Pre Amp".

3. samriley

samriley

Jul 14, 2008
    Australia
    For the last 14 years I've been using an omnidirectional mini mic made by the Leon Audio Company here in south oz. I've tried various ways of mounting it and I still blu-tak it to the belly on the edge of the f hole. I've tried the DPA rubber clip with my mic but I find that as soon as I clip it onto the strings above the tailpiece it immediately has a dampening effect on the acoustic sound. Great idea but doesn't work. I'm using a little GK 10" amp. Setup works great for me. Great natural woody sound. Plenty of volume but when I need to be louder I use the EV re20 on the f hole thru front of house. I'm very happy with this setup. I can still get the true acoustic sound of my bass at any volume. Some sound techs look at me strangely when I want to mic the bass but it works for me. Good to hear others are into the mic thing

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
  5. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    +1 for ribbon mics.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I've been using a Sennheisser MD-409, which I like, but I don't put it through an amp, just the house PA. Same thing, wrap it in foam and put it between the bridge feet.