1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mid heavy basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1.
    And IMO Roscoe, MusicMan, and Rickenbacker. My Alembic Europa has great mids too. I thought my Lull J-style w/Duncan single coils had strong mids. I've recently had the Duncans replaced with a set of Bartolini's, it now has big-time mids. :bassist:

Plus, my amp has a decent eq, so I feel I can dial in decent mids from any bass that I use.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Or just heavy :p

3. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have a Warwick Fortress thats not shy in the mid department either,
    but a Thumb has mids that'll smack you in the head with a ball peen hammer!

4. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    P= thick fat mids, heavy in the low mids. Not deep lows though. What some hear as "lows" are really the P's thick tone.

J= clear highs and high mids, deep lows. Mid cut (regardless what is done with pickup selection).

what "cuts through in a band" is different from person to person. A P provides the thick underpinnings, anchoring the rest of the instruments, and its fat mids can be heard like a club through them. A J slices like a Ginsu knife with its highs and high mids, and has deep lows (deeper than a P) but the lows have less apparent focus (to me) than the low mids of the P. YMMV.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Outside of P-basses, all mid heavy basses I know of have modern sort of sound. The P-bass low mids really make it a distinctive bass.

6. Jonah

Jonah Lord of the String

Jan 19, 2007
    Vantaa, Finland
    Warwick Thumb bolt-on. Maybe it's the wood, my old custom Fortess MM has huge mids also. Ovangkol body.

7. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Rickenbackers and Spectors from personal experience.

8. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Both the G&L L2000 Tribute and L2500 tribute I owned were both mid-heavy to my ears.

9. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    My 97 B.O. Thumb. Over the top mids. 2q8rchs. ezhj6t.

10. Bodhidrop

Bodhidrop

Mar 27, 2009
    Hi all. Interested in upgrading. Have a '98 MIM Jazz with new pickups (Still totally JBass sounding). Have been trying out many other instruments; borrowing others basses for jams and practices. Toying with 5 strings and enjoying that.

Looking for a bass: Up to $950 (Before tax, CDN $...used is fine) , medium or long scale, nice meaty pickups with lots of articulated low-mids and nice highs (Like ESP and Bartolini pickups. Not looking exclusively for an active instrument) with a "classic" sound that I can tweek a bit. Would like a bit of versatility. A unique sound.

Play through an Ampeg head and Yorkville cab. Use a synth box and a distortion pedal sometimes.

Mostly play fingerstyle, but not always. Jazzy-rock, punk, "arty" stuff; a bit of soul, r+b and funk too sometimes.

Any thoughts on something interesting out there?

11. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I find that to get more mids out of a Jazz, you should roll off the neck pickup, thereby favoring the bridge pickup.

12. propel

propel

May 10, 2007
    Montreal
    Thunderbird

13. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    I strongly suggest a used Bolt-on Warwick Thumb.

14. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Definitely a midrange voice!

I used to leave the blend 50/50, but I find myself starting on the neck pickup more often. Start with 100% neck pup, and blend in the bridge pup until you hit that sweet spot.

15. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    True in some respects, but you can tell me this Jazz doesn't have fat/thick mids:

16. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Exactly! I don't think people realize this. But, you have to play close, or on the bridge pickup to get these mids.

17. Bodhidrop

Bodhidrop

Mar 27, 2009
    As far as Warwicks go, I don't think I've tried the Thumb, but I really like the Jazzman. Any notes on these and other Warwick models that have a sound that is both "Classic" ('70s rock/Motown) and warm-and-crisp, "up front"? My experience with them makes me feel they have a bit less "whacketa-whcketa" and growl, which I like and need sometimes. Maybe it's just the physical design and hi-end vibe of the thing.

18. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    + another 1. When I compared mine to a friends Jazz, the J sounded distinctly scooped.

19. edubb

edubb

Dec 6, 2006
    on the Warwick (especially the Thumb B.O.) and the Kingston, which I own. Never played an MM SR. The Kingston bridge MM pickup has loads of growl. I changed the pickups to Barts and it growls even more.

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    +1 My Cirrus is so out there with mids that I can't use it in the same gig with any other bass. It would take too much tweeking to bring the other bass around. Don't get me wrong, the Cirrus can sound AMAZING, it just doesn't play well with others.