1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mid heavy basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Mar 2, 2008.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    What are some basses that have emphasis on the mids?

P-bass is probably the quintessential middy bass but I'd prefer something with 2 pickups.

2. jazz bass :/

3. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I certainly dont see a jazz as mid heavy

4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    get your jazz, turn the neck pup full on, the bridge pup to about 70%, and the tone to 70% as well.

mid heaven!

5. Aren't jazz basses well known for their growly mids? And P basses for their lows?

Alls I knows is I dun get a gud bitin' growly mid heavy tone outta mah Jayuz.

6. An active bass with a 3 band eq. Just boost the mids. Problem solved.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have never owned a Warwick or an MTD Kingston, or a MusicMan SR, but heck these basses
    pump mid-range growl unlike anything I have ever heard. Yes, a jazz can kinda do it, and
    a Skyline 55-02 is close, but dang, Ya only need one PUP, and it had better be WAY closer
    to the bridge than the neck.

8. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    +1

J's are definitely known for their midrange and P's for their bass tone.

If you want a mid punchy bass, consider a Stingray. They are full of incredible punchy midrange growl; especially the newer 3 band EQ versions.

9. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    P-basses have a lot of low-mid emphasis (thus the deep sound). Jazz basses have a lot of growly high mids (at least most of the alder-bodied ones that I've played do). So, it depends on what kind of mids you'd like to accentuate.

My Spector 5er has lots of growly mids too, I think most Spectors do.

10. Wal.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yep, mine does.

12. G&L El Toro .. If you can find one. Best sounding bass with flats that I've ever played

13. ibanez ATK, which is similar to a Stingray, love the midrange I get out of my ATK

14. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    warwick bolt on thumb bass.

15. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    lot of people say ken smiths are mid heavy...

16. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    +1

scuba steve;... damn you :)

My thumb bo 5er will punch your face off.

http://www.myspace.com/soulcreep

17. Prestonrk

Prestonrk

Jan 25, 2008
    racing kites
    if you crank the mids on the bass eq a music man sting ray 4 string and the hh are increadibly mid heavy, very punchy i usually have to roll off my mids a lot because its sometimes a little too much. but then again it also depends on what kind of head and cab you are using. i also found the jazz and p bass deluxe americans to be really punchy. its all in eqing

18. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for saying this: it's hard to discuss these kinds of issues when no one has defined the terms that are being thrown around.

19. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    The most mid heavey bass I've had was a Peavey Accelerator 5 string.Has the same pickups as the Cirrus but with a different preamp and pickup spacing.It was so mid heavy that I had to EQ my amp way different than any other of the dozen or so basses I had used with my current amp.It did sound good after the radical EQ changes but was too different to use at a gig where I might be changing basses during a set.

My Millennium 5 is middy sounding with the EQ flat but its sound cuts through great with a band that way and just a little pickup blend change and a little bass boost can change the tone a bunch.

20. To me P-basses produces nice full low mids wich gives them a fantastic presence and support in a mix setting. Jazz basses have lows and a lot of high mid definition, but they lack the presence in a band setting however they are very good for slapping and cutting through.

Both basses are very good but suit different applications.

To the OP, you could always get a PJ but don't forget that as soon as you have two pickups on in a bass, there is some frequency cancelation and can lead to less mids.