Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Middle knob?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plaster, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Plaster

Plaster

May 17, 2005
    Hello everyone. On my Ibanez BTB, I have three knobs. First one for volume, the third one for bass/treble.

What is the middle one for? I never figured it out.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'd be willing to bet it's a pickup pan knob... if I'm right, it can either evenly blend both pickups, or shift the emphasis from one to the other.

3. Plaster

Plaster

May 17, 2005
    Hmm, and what does that mean exactly?

4. I imagine it's actually a midrange eq knob, affecting the volume level of frequencies between treble & bass. If it's a pan knob, turning it all the way in one direction will give you signal from one pickup, the other direction, the other pickup.

5. Plaster

Plaster

May 17, 2005
    Allright guys, thanks.

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    How many pickups are on your BTB?

7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Correct, the knob you're talking about is a pickup pan, with a detent in the center.

8. Yep, Its a pan knob.

As far as I know, there are no preamps that have only three knobs and have a V/M/B-T stack set up. So I guess you have the BTB 300, right?

And to Unchain

BTB's only come with 2 pickups, both dual coil.

9. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks. If it has 2 pups, I knew it was a pan, but one it could be a midrange. Thanks for the correction, Tbird. :smug:

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Detented Pick Up Pan Knob!!! I hate those. personally.

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Maybe I can offer a better explanation. Without that knob, your bass would automatically balance your output between both pickups. Said differently, each pickup contributes equally to your sound (although based on your technique and hand position, one pickup may end up affecting the sound more, though both are working equally hard at it). Now, insert a pickup pan knob (also called a blend knob), and as you turn it to one extreme or the other, the balance between the output of each pickup shifts. Typically, turning it clockwise causes the neck pickup to carry more of the load in creating your sound, and conversely, counter-clockwise puts more responsibility on your bridge pickup. Since each pickup affects your sound differently, you get different resultant tones. It's virtually the same thing as using a fader in your car stereo and shifting the balance from the back seat to the front seat, except with multiple pickups in a bass, the overall tone changes. Make any more sense this way? :)

12. Plaster

Plaster

May 17, 2005
    Yeah, I get it now. And TECHNICALLY, I have 4 knobs, only my last knob is a two story knob, with bass on the bottom, and treble ontop.