1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Midi Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassOverdrive, Sep 17, 2008.

1. BassOverdrive

BassOverdrive

Jun 13, 2008
    I've been looking for a midi bass for a while. Hoag makes em from what I hear, the K-MAX Midi Bass, but everytime I look for one I find none, and the site that always is listed never works. Anyone knows where I might be able to get a midi bass?

2. last bass teacher i had used one of those peavy midi basses- though im fairly certain theyre out of production- which means ebay. the tracking was apparently good enough for recording purposes. pretty sure he never used it live- just midi control of horns/strings/etc.

3. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Roland makes a midi pickup that you can install on any bass, actually they make two versions. One version is for permanent install and the other is removable....
    although you have to buy an outboardbox also...

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I've been using the Roland system (GR-20 and GK-2B) for a couple of years. It works very well.

5. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Conklin

6. BassOverdrive

BassOverdrive

Jun 13, 2008
    Hows the tracking with the Peavey and Roland systems, i saw the rolands install one but didnt have much info on tracking. I love new sounds but I prefer the bass over keyboard and guitars so you can only imagine ;D By the way Im a little new to the midi field, are these pickups from roland able to work with 6 string basses?

7. Look in the classifieds, recently I saw one or two midi equipped basses and one or two roland board counterparts as well. I've been writing some music using midi files lately and some of the synth bass tones are definitely tasty.

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    As far as I'm concerned, Al Caldwell has the coolest midi bass in existence.

9. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    GK3B (or Graphtec piezos) + Axon AX50 or AX100mkII + piccolo strings = best possible tracking combo you can achieve other than a true midi bass like the Peavy MidiBase. Midi bass really doesn't track very well in the lower register, though the Axon units are substantially better at it than the Roland systems. Both systems and the PUP or piezos can accommodate up to 6 string basses. If you go with piccolo strings, you can always detune the sounds you're triggering down an octave.

10. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Roland specs the pickup to work with a six string bass...

11. BassOverdrive

BassOverdrive

Jun 13, 2008
    Sorry for the slow reply, i appreciate all the help, will look into all of them :)