Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Midi Footcontrol

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jondog, Jan 13, 2004.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got a Johnson J-Station that is organized in 10 banks (0-9) w/ 3 patches each. I want to control it w/ my ART X11 footboard, but the ART is set up to do an ascending sequence of patches (1234567...), not the banks of 3 on my J-Station (01,02,03,11,12,13,21...).

Is there a way to tell my ART to do banks of 3?

Or, should I just learn what the patches sounds like according to the # the ART feels like giving them? Like, the ART say that bank 1 patch 1 is called 4, should I just believe it? It switches fine, it just gives everything after 03 its own #, and this bugs me, I guess I'm just used to banks.

2. You're looking for the 'Midi Mapping' function, and I'm really not sure if the Art does that...I'm also not sure if the Johnson does that.

Check the owners manuals for each.

What Midi mapping does is it designates what patch the midi controller goes to when a button is pushed. You should be able to 'map' button 1 to Johnson effect X and button 38 to Johnson effect Y, and so on. Most effects processors have a map onboard that you can program, and some controllers (the Rocktron Midimate and Digital Music Ground Control) allow you to do it from the pedalboard.

My guess is that the Art doesn't do it because it was made for the Nightbass, which had a map onboard, if memory serves.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK thanks. I checked the J station manual and it doesn't say anything about midi mapping. I don't have a manual for the x11, but it's a basic unit w/ no knobs or anything so I don't think I can program it. I guess 4=11 for me!