Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIDI PICKUP QUESTION

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jibreel, Mar 14, 2006.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Does anyone know if the Roland GK-3b or Yamaha B1D midi pickups work with the Thomasik Infeld Acousticore Phosphorbronze Round wound strings? They have a nylon inner core.
    My understanding it that the midi pickups are magnetic so it should work. Just want to know if any one can cofirm this.

I am planing on getting an Axon midi coverter. I know the midi does not track the low notes well but I plan to use it on the D and G strings on the upper frets.

Thanks much

2. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

not sure about the Thomasik's, but they should work.

I just wanted to mention that if you're serious about using MIDI that you should look into getting the RMC MIDI piezo pickups. I used the Roland GK-3B with the Axon at first but after switching to the RMC Pow'r Bass its made a huge difference. It tracks really well on all but my low B string.

just thought I'd mention it.

later.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

4. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Thank you both so much !! I will definetly check out the RMC pickup.

Do either of you have any opinion as to the difference between the axon ax-100 and the newer axon model?

Thanks again.

5. +2 on the RMC, I have them in my Warrguitar and use an AX100, wonderfull, better than any hex pickup.
    There's a new one???
    Dirk

6. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Check out the Graphtech piezo system.

8. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    The TI Acousticores will not work with magnetic pickups. That rules out the Roland. I don't know about the Yamaha. You have to go piezo or some other non-inductive setup if you want to use the Acousticores (does lightwave make a 13-pin rig?)

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The Yamaha B1D is pretty much the same as the Roland GK pups. They are both magnet based.

10. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I just ordered the new version Axon Ax 100 MkII from Sweetwater along with a 13 pin cable. Tommorrow I go see a luthier in Seattle to do the purchase of the RMC pickup system. This will all be triggered from my Ren 5 string fretted bass.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I will let you know how this system turns out.