1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIDI switching effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DrewM85, Jan 3, 2012.

1. DrewM85

DrewM85

Jan 2, 2012
    DE
    I've been wanting to get into effects that have midi abilities such as the eventide space and timefactor. I dont like the idea of having to do a pedal dance everytime I want to change a few effects around. Since I dont know much about the world of MIDI switching I figured the experts here on TB could help me...Is there such thing as MIDI footboard that I can set up presets on and switch from there without having to use a computer. Hopefully you understand what I'm asking about here. Thanks

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You can control those and pretty much any other MIDI-controllable effect with any MIDI foot controller. Each effect is different- read the manual for each effect to see what MIDI commands control which functions on each effect. You can also buy MIDI loopers where you put your non-MIDI stompboxes in loops that can be turned on and off with the same MIDI footcontroller.

MIDI footcontrollers come in a wide variety, from very simple Program Change only (PC in MIDI-speak stands for Program Change, so don't get it confused with PC as in personal computer ;)) to extremely powerful ones like the Gordius Little Giant series.

It can be confusing and a headache at first when learning about MIDI stuff, but it can become second nature pretty quickly.

3. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    For someone getting started, I recommend the Behringer FCB1010. It has a lot of capabilities for a pretty inexpensive price. It's a little bit difficult to program using the device itself, but there are some free third party PC programs that make it much easier.

Technically, it has 100 preset locations, 10 banks of 10 switches. Each preset can transmit up to 5 PC messages (so you can control 5 different effects devices). It can also send 2 different CC messages, a Note On message and you can set up it's two expression pedals to control effect parameters in real time. That's pretty good for a MF price of $142. There is also an EPROM upgrade available to change it's capabilities, and it can be used with the Gordius Little Giant devices.

The absolute KING of MIDI control devices is the Gordius Little Giant. It can do virtually everything. Even if it can't, you can email Xavier (the guy in Belgium who makes and sells them) with a new feature you want, and he will add it if he thinks it makes sense (he did this for me). Not only that, you can hook up one or more Behringer FCB1010's to it to create a ridiculously giant pedal control system. Or there is a Gordius Little Giant module available which will allow you expand your FCB1010 to have Gordius capabilities.

One other company to mention is MIDI Solutions. John makes all kinds of great little MIDI helper devices that can solve tricky problems getting MIDI rigs to do what you want.

Good Luck!

4. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    You already have FX and want to program a programable loop selector or you start from scratch ?

A VB99/FC300 combo is all you'll ever need FX and programability wise.

This is also a top notch MIDI/USB controller

5. DrewM85

DrewM85

Jan 2, 2012
    DE
    Thanks for the input, I guess I have some learning to do on MIDI control....:meh: