1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIJ Fender Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drunkenrobot, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Hey guys. I've met someone via internet who is selling a mint condition MIJ Fender Aerodyne Jazz for £150-£200. It's black and comes with a hardcase.

Up till now I haven't been a big fan of Fenders, but this Aerodyne is beautiful. I was thinking about having it defretted and making it my first fretless.

Now I've never played one of these basses before (my only experience of Fenders was a low budget precision) and I won't be able to play it before buying as the guy lives on the south coast. But I figure if I don't like it I can sell it on for at least as much if not more; Japanese instruments aren't too common over here.

So, anyone ever played or owned an Aerodyne Jazz? Fretted or fretless? All replies are appreciated.

2. Played one in a sound control a couple years back.

Very nice bass. Worst case scenario you could stick some new pickups in there.

Nice thin and fast jazz neck and it's a very light bass (personally not a fan of lighter basses, just for the feel, didnt have a negative effect on the sound).

I'd jump on that deal because these tend to go for about £450-£500! (and often thats without a case!)

ie: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120404116884

Just go for it. Worst case scenario you could at least double your money. Or just forget about it and give me the guys details :p

PawleeP likes this.
  3. Thanks for the reply Mohawk. I've heard good things about them from my bass teacher too. I think I'll go for it, can't really lose out lol.

Anyone had any experience with a fretless Aerodyne?

4. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    it'd be a bargain for £200 but I didn't like the one I had so much

it dented REALLY easily... the soft basswood body combined with the shiny black finish really picked up knocks

it neck-dived.. a lot. I've played Fenders for years and I'm used to a certain amount of neck dive, but the lightweight body really makes the neck dive

and it sounded... a bit weedy really, compared to a standard Jazz... I think the light body doesn't do you any favours if you want lots of low end

ultimately I think it looked nicer than it sounded.. I played about 3 gigs with mine and retired it

5. bump

6. I dont think he should pass it up even if he ends up not liking it, he'll only make money on selling it on again.

And the sound will be different as they are P-J's. A friend of mine has one with some SD Basslines in it, and it's his regular giggin bass :)

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

A search for "Aerodyne" will turn up a TON of info, even if you just search in thread titles. They're great basses for the $, and most people seem to like them a lot.

8. Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna go ahead and get it.

9. BruceofBruce

BruceofBruce

Feb 28, 2008
    Boston MAss!
    HEy,
    I own one of these and use it as my main Bass at the moment.
    it's nice.
    all black thats a plus.;)
    slim Jazz neck so it's fast and fit's my smaller sized hands.
    nice low action,
    light weight, a bit of a neck dive....
    sound wise it's good.
    use the front pickup it's a pbass, use the bridge it's a jazz.
    it does both ok.. not 100% of either...

so I play in a stoner /doom band 410s and a 15 driven by a GK head and use a Russian Big Muff sparingly to be heard over the guitars Marshal 4 12 stack.
    all be it loud deep low end and fuzzy for the most part I get some good tones.
    I really like the neck, let's me finger some chords to full up our sound.:bassist:

I might get a different bass at some point that is a little more suited to the kind of music I'm playing, but I won't be getting rid of this bass.

hope that helps.
    B

10. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    150-200 is a good deal , if that was me I would snap that up immediately , you can always sell it on for more if you dont like it