1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mike Dirnt Road Worn Neck Problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seidler, Feb 27, 2018.

1. seidler

seidler

Dec 18, 2005
    I have owned 20 basses. Mostly P basses and a few Jazz. 95% American. I have never had one with this poor a set up. The truss rod does nothing. I can loosen it up completely and I still get buzz on 2nd fret. I have to raise action so high using bridge that it is not comfortable to play. I tried shimming neck (I have never done this before) with business card stock and had similar results. I got rid of buzz but action is crazy high. If I bring action down with bridge it buzzes. I tried shimming nut and still buzz. Neck must be so stiff as truss rod does nothing. From as tight as I can make it to full loose tune or actin height stays the same. I have a Squire P that is superior. Any suggestions?

2. FenderTuni

FenderTuni

Jan 30, 2012
    Philadelphia
    Did you check the nut height? Maybe it is set too low and it will buzz regardless of an appropriate bridge action.

3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    That should only matter for the first fret. I’d the problem is at the 2nd fret specifically that indicates the 3rd fret is high and may need to be reseated. Maybe if you get the neck as straight as possible and put a capo on the first fret you can see what’s going on.

FenderTuni likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020