1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mike Lull T5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doc Mojo, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Doc Mojo

Doc Mojo

Oct 29, 2014
    Ohio
    I've been playing this exclusively for a couple weeks and have to be honest, it's the best sounding bass I've ever had. Plays great even if it isn't the most comfortable bass I've owned. Ever since seeing UFO bassist Pete Way slinging a T-Bird (a bit too low) I've loved the looks but the sound was a bit boomy. I think the 35" scale adds some clarity and I don't miss the active electronics. I'm not sure how much a maple fingerboard changes the tone over rosewood but I don't think it has a huge impact. It's thick , punchy and can handle any style including slap. If your a person that cant do without the last 4-5 frets, you may have a problem with this bass. I prefer an upper horn to extend out to the 12th fret but sitting down I have no problem with getting comfortable. I'm looking for someone to make me a custom strap extension to solve that problem but for now, I'll just sit down. I love the looks and get a lot of positive feedback on it. The picture is three of my favorite critters. trio 2.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    mark beem and handofseven like this.
  2. Joeynone

Joeynone www.facethekingband.com Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    As a thunderbird owner, I can say Lull got it right. He took an amazing model and made it perfect

3. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Baird6869 likes this.
  4. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Congrats! That is a super cool bass! I've played a few of those and all of them have been exceptional.

5. Doc Mojo

Doc Mojo

Oct 29, 2014
    Ohio
    Those are nice. I love the look of my T5 and it would be a little cheaper to extend the strap then buy a new bass ;)

dedpool1052 likes this.
  6. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Just throwing it out there. I'd likely do the same thing as that's a pretty good looking bass.

7. Furious_Man77

Furious_Man77 Low frequencies since 1997

Jul 5, 2010
    Indiana
    Congrats! Try this: I use Schaller straplocks and installed the front one on a neck bolt (top-bass side). Better balance and shifts the bass to the right a bit, pulling the nut closer to your left hand. Absolutely perfect feel, especially for a long 35" scale bass. I can probably snap a picture if you like.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  8. Doc Mojo

Doc Mojo

Oct 29, 2014
    Ohio
    Did you need a new neck bolt or use the original?

9. Furious_Man77

Furious_Man77 Low frequencies since 1997

Jul 5, 2010
    Indiana
    I used a different screw as it needed be modified. It is a slightly longer wood screw with the head filed down on the edge to fit inside the straplock button. I saved the stock screw to revert it back if I ever sell either of them (unlikely).

10. MrAtomic

MrAtomic Friendly Robot

Dec 29, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Doc Mojo, that is just a beautiful instrument. I have a 2-tone burst Lull T4 that I purchased used, but if I were specc'ing one, it'd look just like yours. Well, mine would have 4 strings, and maybe a rosewood fret board. Also, I might go for a trans black finish. Jeez, I think I want 3 Lull T4's.