Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mike Pecanic Adjustable Bridge

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Bobaree, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Does anyone on the boards have any experience with these bridges? I was thinking about ordering one for my bass but I'd like some opinions first.

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    When I first saw a pic of a Pecanic bridge I cringed thinking that there is noway it could work. Well, I visited Mike last summer and had the opportunity to see one and play a bass sporting one of his bridges. First of all I was impressed with the workmanship of the bridge and it seemed very structurally sound. The bass [a Shen] sounded great and while I didn't do an A/B test or anything the bridge certainly didn't hurt the tone of the bass.

3. Bobaree,
    I've substituted the ebony Juzek tail piece for one of Doc Mike's adjustable ones on my carved, mid 50's Juzek. The pecanic tail piece is claro walnut with his cord attaching to the end pin stopper instead of cable. It improved the presence of all the strings across the finger board. I have no idea why, all I know is that I have put two compensated tail pieces , one on a '38 Kay and one on my magnificent Cleveland and it improved the tone of both. The adjustable on the Juzek definately improved the presence of the Juzek but not enough E string for me. I think professor Arnold has diagnosed the problem with the Juzek concerning thickness (graduations) of the top and possibly bottom plates, so I'll be sending it off to Wil and Arnold in a couple of months. Give Doc Mike a call and tell him what you are trying to accomplish with the tail piece exchange and he will tell you best options in terms of wood density and type of tail piece. He's a hell of a nice dude and knows his ka ka about everything he sells. Also, Jeff helped me out with a spirit varnish refinish job on the same '38 Kay and it turned out just beautiful. Could not have done it as well without his help. You just can't go wrong with the expertise of these Talkbass maestros. Time to call the doctor. Good luck partner. Jim

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

JIm, this thread is about MPs Bridges and not is TPs.. Sorry to break the news.. I have one of his TPs on my 5er and love it. It's a newly converted 4 to 5 and restored so I have no clue what improvements the TP would have made had I had it strung b4 with a normal TP. Also, when you send your Wilfer Bass (Juzek labelled) to Arnold, Will will not be involved. Will is only involved with the Clevland project basses but all repairs of everything from what I have seen are done by Arnold and his asst. Jed who also does great work.

As far as the Bridges go, I think that a solid Bridge has the best tone. Adding adjusters can lessen the natural sound of the Bass depending on what type of adjusters you use. If your Bass is set up well, then I think the regular Adjusters are just fine. I like his idea like on a BG but for now I will stick with regular adjusters on my Bass.

5. Bobaree,
    Sorry about the tail piece-adjustable bridge confusion on my part, my bad. Additionally, Ken, I had only assumed that since the label inside the bass said John Juzek, it might possibly be a Juzek. I was told by Reuben Gutierez of the Bronx (from whom I purchased the bass) that it was one of the basses sold under contract to the New York City Board of Education, specifically, P.S.#235 in New York City. Granted, while I am certain that the bass has a lesser pedigree than the very lowest bass that you possess, I couldn't care less if it was constructed by E. Wilfer under contract for the Juzeks of Metropolitan Music or "Bubba" Wilfer under contract for the Juzeks of Metropolitan Music. It's a beautiful old bass worthy of the best restoration I can afford it. I had only assumed that since Arnold had said that Wil had done the beautiful finish on a hybrid, in a previous post, that I might be able to coax him to do likewise with the Juzek after Arnold worked his magic. Therefore, it may well be possible that Wil might work on the Juzek. Finally, to pick the last nit, since I own one, I erroroneously thought that Wil worked on the Clevelands but now know he works on the Clevlands. Also my error.
    Bobaree,
    The bottom line on the adjustable bridge is the same. Call Dr. Mike. He makes them and knows more about them than anyone, just watch out for those labels. If it doesn't have MPM burned into the underside, it is probably made by E. Wilfer. Good luck Buddy.
    Jim

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I believe that all repairs that come into Arnolds Shop are done by Arnold or Jed. I know Wil is involved with the 'Standard' business but the repairs and set-ups after sale are done by Arnold as far as I know. Juzeks as you may now know are labeled Basses supplied by the Wilfer Family for at least 70 years if not more. Wilfer also makes Basses under his own label and they too were sold by Juzek but without a Juzek on the higher end models. I know this for a fact because I have owned them with both labels, been to the shop in NY where they were sold, knew Robert Juzek, Johns brother and his son Bobby is still kickin along with 'his' son Robbie. Not to mention I was a student of the NYC School system at HS of Music & Art up in Harlem and played on these Basses every day for 4 years.

Before having a Juzek labelled Bass restored or any Bass for that matter, it's always good to know what the current market prices are for that particular Bass just incase you plan on selling it some day. Most people do not like loosing money on their investments. I offer this information NOT to Dis you or your Bass in any way but to offer knowledge and experience that is often hard to come by these days, and let's not forget I am offering my experiences and time to post them for free!

7. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't suppose anyone has his 'phone number do they? I'm interested in talking to him about a tailpiece, but his number doesn't appear on the MPM web page. I can always email him, but he's local here in LA and it'd be nice to talk person-to-person like real human beings.

8. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hi Andy, it's 951-233-8616...

9. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Then you'll be calling the right guy.

10. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    The phone number at his shop is (909) 579-0103