1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

For Sale Milanese Bass circa 1900

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Jonathan Stein, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Jonathan Stein

Jonathan Stein

Jan 26, 2020
    Price:
    $32000
    Strings:
    Beautiful bass, from around 1900. Dark strong vocal sound, and this thing is loud. flat back, lovely violin corners, and beautiful dark red finish. Recently refurbished and in excellent shape. This bass was a friend for me for 10 years and now I'd like to pass it on to someone else whom it can help go further as a bass player and professional.

Kolstein flight case included. This is a very solid case that sells for $3k that is complimentary.

The bass is currently residing at David Gage's shop in Manhattan NY.

Please reach out with any questions. I'd love to talk

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Reiska likes this.
  2. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just saw that bass yesterday. It looks absolutely gorgeous and older than 1900. My son asked my how old and I guessed 1800. It is slender and looks exceedingly playable. It pushes all the Italian buttons...absolute killer. I did not play it but if it sounds anything like it looks it is a dark, lush, chocolatey bath.

3. Jonathan Stein

Jonathan Stein

Jan 26, 2020

Aww man that's so awesome to hear! Yes she's very comfy on the shoulders, nice shape and neck width, and fingerboard feels soft and buttery. Give it a try next time you pop in there and hit me up any time if you have some thoughts on it :)

J

4. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Finger Lakes area of New York State
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    Who in God's name wants a soft, buttery fingerboard? Yuck!

piggywiddle likes this.