Miles Davis in Tokyo 1973

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Michael Henderson just posted the concert on YouTube.

J_Bass, jerry, Joshua and 1 other person like this.
  2. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I love that period/band!

Bob_Ross, Dr. Cheese and JimK like this.
  3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pete Cosey!

Bob_Ross, Dr. Cheese and jerry like this.
  4. Yep. Have to look at this stuff. Just listened to 45 minutes of Agharta for the first time in six months. I was a White Canadian Drunk in Victoria, B.C. when it first came out! Drinkin' Music! (No drink for 28 years now!) I met Sonny Fortune here in Ottawa about 16 years ago and told him that I have always listened intently to pretty well every note that he played in that Alto solo on "Prelude." Anyways...as a sober Man...I digress! As a half-assed bassist I think the reason that I so appreciate Michael Henderson's style is that he was "always present" did not "take over" the show (no "hot-dog") just was always in the music as Rhythm Section guys are supposed to be. And his Soul background had a lot to do with his feel for the instrument. Inspired my White Hands to pick up my Precision and have some fun! Always appreciated Mr. Henderson's style / feel / invaluable contribution to Miles music.

JimK and jerry like this.
  5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Fortune is one of the most overlooked cats when the greats of saxophone are discussed.

JimK likes this.
  6. When I met Sonny (at the Ottawa Jazz Festival) they they had these little mini-concerts (30 - 60 minutes duration) in a small (air-conditioned) theatre. Sonny performed only with drummer Rashied Ali (John + Alice Coltrane / Blood Ulmer) and they played only one song : Cole Porter's "Just One of Those Things"....for 46 minutes!!! So I have got to sound Hip when I meet Sonny in front of the Auditorium (4 minutes after he had blown sax for 45 + minutes.) So as I was shaking his hand I said : "Well, Sonny, I think that it is safe to say that you don't smoke cigarettes." (With a big smile and a laugh) he grinned and replied : "That's right, I don't!")

JimK and jerry like this.