1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Miles Mosley

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by dbass87, Jun 11, 2014.

1. dbass87

dbass87

May 16, 2010
    Anybody listen to this guy? He uses a bunch of effects in this clip, something I don't see many bassists do...he pulls some cool stuff out of it.

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    No, we've known about him for some time. He also sings while playing bass. If you use the search tool there are other threads about his playing.

If you want to find out more about what he does with the bass, see his talk here:

3. dbass87

dbass87

May 16, 2010
    I'm sure there are some TB'ers who haven't heard him... plus it's a cool tune!

4. More than ever there is growing trend of non-guitarist hooking up pedals and doing the SAME things guitarists have been boring us for years.
    Guitarists like Fred Frith and Henry Kaiser can really do some advanced things with effects, but this guy along with tons of flute, trombone and saxophone players keep doing the same boring stuff.
    I don't think it is impossible to take it somewhere new, but it is rare and it is not happening here.

Delay pedals are even worse.

gerry grable likes this.
  5. While I stand by the above, I should say that it is nothing personal. He is very good player and seems like a nice guy. However, the non-guitar through common effects is reaching epidemic stages in the experimental music communities and may be many things but "new" isn't one of them.

6. dbass87

dbass87

May 16, 2010
    Are there really that many upright bass players playing through delays, wahs and other effects besides overdrives or things of that nature...? If so, I guess I just haven't run across many of them. I do think you can over-use the effects, and start doing it just for the sake of effects and not music...And while what Miles plays is pretty enjoyable, I would not want to listen to bass being played like this all the time. But variety is the spice of life!

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Probably not to the point where they're doing something that compels Bass Player to take notice. I saw him live in 2012 at NAAM and it was just him and a drummer and he captivated a room full of bassist. I found what he was doing to be refreshing and chatted with him a bit about the bass he was using which is designed so that it doesn't feedback from the massive low end the bass produces when amplified. The guy studied with Ray Brown and kudos to him for making his own way.

dbass87 likes this.
  8. Like I said, good player, probably nice guy. Mark Dresser is making his own way, this guy isn't doing anything a million guitarists haven't done.
    As someone who is working on "New Music", this kind of thing being taken as new is my issue.
    Everyone is allow to like it - it is solid and pleasant to listen to.

There are several other bassist doing it, he is the only one I know of where it seems to be a full time schtick. My point is more that it is just typical guitar uses of pedals which a millions of 'cellists, violinists, flute, trombone and sax players are also doing.

dbass87 likes this.
  9. dbass87

dbass87

May 16, 2010
    Are there any bassists using effects that you feel are doing something new and different with it? I'd like to check them out if you got some names...

10. I liked Johnny Dyani's use of a Wah pedal on an LP called Fruits with Leo Smith and Phillip Wilson. Barry Guy did some things with processing in the '70s that I like, and I like his use of a volume pedal.
    Arild Anderson has some moments with effects I like. The main bassist I have really liked using pedals is Motoharu Yoshizawa, he is gone now.
    Mostly, I do not think it is a "way forward". In most cases I have heard it is retreads of what guitarists have driven into the ground.
    I think we get way better distortion with the bow than a pedal and I loathe delay pedals and looping (for any instrument). Anything worth hearing over and over is worth playing over and over!
    I prefer to hear some one purely solo with out the band in a box.

What I find really excruciating is seeing 20min of someone "building a loop live". Yes, we get it. We can loop endless tracks now. If you want to play with a backing track it is better to prerecord it and just start where it gets good, instead of that awful 20min.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    mtto, dbass87 and drumgewitter like this.
  11. One of my biggest pet peeves is an acoustic band playing as if they were electrics the entire set. One person on an occasional tune (or even the entire band for A tune) is one thing, but if you want to hook up to effects and crank it to 11, go get the Les Paul and P Bass.

That said, I think Miles' use of the bow/wah combination is a cool effect. I a also like the looped Kashmir arrangement I heard. But these are few and far between.