1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Millennium Dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Anyone who reads my posts probably knows I really like Peavey USA Millenniums. My current Millennium is this foour string:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322674&highlight=Millennium

It is a great bass; it weighs 8.5 lbs., has a wonderful finger tone in any position, does a fair Stingray impression with the humbucker soloed, and has a superfast neck. My problem is that I have never really bonded with the slap tone of both pups together. If this bass were like a 55-02, and had a splittable humbucker, I could get a J-sound. As it is, I a get a sound halfway between a Jazz and Stingray when I slap which is just not the tone in my head. I really like a StingrAy style slap tone, a Jazz style slap tone, or a dual humbucker slap tone like that of a SR5 HH or L-2500. The solution I thought I found was to send my bass to Lakland and have the LH-3 pickups put in since Lakland said they would do very reasonably. The rub is that I have recently come across a J/J Millennium that is in great shape at GC. With a discount card and some negotian, I have secured a price for this bass $100 less than the cost of switching pups in my current Millennium. I currently have it on hold, but I really find myself holding back because I am really tired of buying basses. My wife and I have some long term goals, and I want to set an example by not buying extra stuff. That said, a quality active style J-bass like that Millennium and my ATK305, which gives me the Stingray sound would have me pretty set in terms of what I like. More importantly, it would give me two very nice basses for well under $1,000.

Gosh, now that I have written it out, the decision to get the J/J Millennium simply makes more sense than paying more for the pickups, plus I would have the added advantage of not having to wait either. Oh well, since I posted, let me know what you think.

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Don't mod your bass, buy the J/J version and pocket the $100. You'll never get the investment in mods out of resale of your current bass should you choose to sell it at a later date.

PS. Or you could sell your current millennium and buy a bass that will do it all.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You make a great point about never making the money back if I mod it. As for your second point, the Millennium J/J will do it all. It is essentially a modern or boutique style J with two hum cancelling J style pickups and the same electronics as a Cirrus. It would serve as my go to four string, and it would allow me to get that Jazz slap tone which, along with the Stingray, is my favorite slap tone.:cool:

4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    There is a millenium at our GC ,
    4 , JJ , and they don't know what it is , it's a MIA and is less than $200.00. They think it's a BXP??

It's pearl , I want to say the color is just like a pearl , not white with a maple neck?IIRC. I was very tempted to buy , clean it up , wank on it for awhile and resell it.

It is in good shape but one of the knobs was falling off , pot was good but knob was loose

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Unless the preamp is fried, I would snap it up in a heartbeat if it is under $200. If you fix it up, you will have a wonderful bass.

6. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I have seriously considered it. nice basses.

7. Don't you still have your Millennium 5er with the same electronics? Does your 4 sound that different?

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I traded the five for a 1995 ATK305. I wanted something closer to the true Stingray tone. That said I still love Millenniums which is why i kept the four, however, the J/J Millennium will be closer to the slap tone I want.

9. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Cheese,

First, shame on you for selling the M5! Secondly, buy the JJ M4. It'd be cheaper than modding your current M4, and you'd have two.

Lee

10. I realize there are things that sound closer to a 'ray than the Millennium, but not may basses can play so darn well. I had a Sterling for a while that sounded great, but the action couldn't even come close.

I'd recommend snagging the JJ. I have one, although I don't use it much since it's backup for my Millennium 4 Plus BN. Yeah, different bridge pickups, but I mostly use the neck pickup.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I honestly have not looked back since i traded the Millennium in my avatar. Other than being a heavy, my ATK is an absolute dream of a bass, and in terms of playability, it is in the same league as my old Millennium V. As for the J/J Millennium, it would replace my J/MM Millennium. At this point, two basses is my limit. After the family finishes some projects, and I get another car, I might see about expanding the bass family.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am having second thoughts now.:oops: I really like my J/MM Millennium, and so what if it doesn't sound like a jazz when I slap it. Everybody does not need to be a Marcus clone. I also like the D-tuner it has too.

13. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    I'm telling you man, if you had clearance from the wife to put new/different electronics in that M4, at GREATER COST, then why not just BUY a JJ M4 and pocket the difference, and have three basses, two PVs and the 305???

One LONG sentence....

Lee

14. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    You, sir, are an example.

And a gentleman.

And a scholar.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I decided to keep my J/MM Millennium. Another J/J will show when I can afford it outright instead of doing a trade. I am really tired of letting go of great basses only to regret it later.
    I did get a new gigbag, which I really needed. I also got some DR strings, a five string set, and the marcus Miller Sig set. I'll see how they sound on my Millennium J/MM!:D

16. I also have a Millennium dilemma,
    I either save up to buy a Millennium J/J -roughly $400
    Or
    I save up even more to buy a WarWick RockBass Streamer 4 banger - roughly $650

Which do you think would be a better investment?
    Also my current bass is a squire-P

17. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Lefty,

depends. Do you want an investment, or an instrument??

Lee

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    :sigh: I remember when there was quite a bit haterism going on regarding the Millennium and it wasn't that long ago. Warms my heart to see that some have realized what a great bass they are. Get the J/J! :)

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If it were a real Streamer, you might have an issue, but between a Rockbass and a USA Millennium, the Millennium wins hands down.:smug:

20. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I agree with Dr. Cheese. The Millennium is hands down the better bass. If it were a real Streamer you were comparing the Millennium to then you would be talking about a real contest but....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021