MIM Fender "Squier Series" (Mod Platform?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geckoman1220, Aug 18, 2013.

1. geckoman1220

geckoman1220

Jan 23, 2012
    hello all, I was at a pawn shop today and noticed a Fender Jazz bass hanging there listed at $89 bucks. I knew this couldnt be a standard fender for that price. Upon closer inspection I seen it was a "made in Mexico" and in small letters on the end of the headstock said "squier series". the Fender logo itself was in all black. From my limited research i've come to find out that these were on par with a MIM standard, possible american made bodies and necks? does that sound right?

Well my question is... Do you think its a fair price for it?

the paint has a good bit of scratches and chips, the pickup covers are crazy reliced (naturally), and bridge has some gunk and rust. but the neck and tuners seem nice. I would be using this as a mod platform. which means basically keeping the body and neck, giving it a refinish and replacing the other parts. but maybe keeping some of the parts if they are nice, like the tuners. I am looking for a project bass and i could probably even talk them down a bit.

here is a pic of what it looks like. this isnt the exact bass but its the same model and color. and this one is in much nicer condition. i do not own the pic btw.
    jazzbass1_zps055bf2dd.jpg

2. geckoman1220

geckoman1220

Jan 23, 2012
    any ideas?

3. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    You do indeed have a 90's made in Mexico Squier Jazz bass there. I think that was a very good price as long as there is nothing major wrong with the bass. Scratches and scuffs are pretty normal for a used bass almost 20 years old as long as they are not deep and no cracks. Rust is pretty normal too because of sweat and other moisture. If you are looking to mod it then this would be an awesome jumping off point bass to start you on your modding journey with.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021