1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM standard, or Indo Squier CV?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PennyroyalWe, Jun 1, 2020.

1. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    TLDR: anyone tried a new CV 70’s p?
    I’ve got an 06 MIM standard P bass, black w/ rosewood. I like it a lot, it feels great and plays fantastic. It sounds pretty good, too...but I just doesn’t quite get the punchy growly p bass tone that I wish it would, and it’s pretty boring to look at. Without opening up the tone wood can-of-worms, I prefer maple boards. I’ve tried messing with pickups and strings, it currently has Fender 9050’s and a no-name aftermarket AlNiCo pup, to get the tone I’m after. Maybe I just don’t have the right combination yet? I’m toying with the idea of trading it in for a new 70’s CV p bass, but haven’t heard much in the way of consumer reviews for the new ones, and my searching TB didn’t turn up anything. I know the MIC were pretty comparable to the MIM in quality, how do the new Indonesian ones hold up?

2. Get an old one. Preferably before 2016

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  3. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    Yeah, that’s the hard part. There’s a few on reverb, but then I don’t get a return policy in case I don’t really bond with it.

4. The best is to find one locally and to try it. In case you go for an old Classic Vibe, the hex Allen key you need to test the trussrod (and to adjust) is a 5mm one. Don't screw that up!

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    IME, the older CVs were almost too good to be true, and one could have argued that unless you absolutely had to have the Fender logo you were better off going with a CV vs the lower end MIMs.

I haven’t played the newer MIMs but they look and sound nice and are getting good reviews. I have played some newer CV guitars, and although they are nice they aren’t quite as good as the older stuff. I’m not sure if it was intentional, but Fender seems to have gotten their “progression of quality” across the various brands and lines in good order.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  6. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    That’s been my experience with the new ones. I’ve gotten to try the Mustang bass and the thinline tele. Both we’re fine instruments, but closer the the VM mark than the CV. I’d rather not “step down” in quality if I can...but dang I like that walnut finish. I suppose I can hold out for an older 70’s cv or Matt freeman to pop up on GC’s used site, though I imagine that’s only going to get rarer to see.

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  7. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I’m kicking myself for not checking out a Matt Freeman that popped up locally about 7 mo ago, was the right price too. I haven’t seen any Chinese classic vibes up locally in a good while now.

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  8. Matt Freeman are awesome. Tried one against a 1978 Precision Bass in a second hand shop and the Matt Freeman was top notch

9. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    This topic has been beaten to death but after playing a few of the newer MIM models with terrible playability, I'd have to say CV Squier. With how good these budget-friendly Indonesian instruments are I just can't justify the extra cost for a Mexican model anymore.

If you want to spend money on something nice (and see/feel a real difference) try to find a used American standard.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  10. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    As wonderful as an MIA would be, I’m more so looking to make a lateral move to a maple fretboard p bass. I know the Chinese CV’s were fantastic (I’ve got an 08 CV duo sonic that I LOVE) but I’ve heard pretty mixed reviews on the Indonesian CV’s, but nothing about the 70’s p. It’s always been a different model.

11. I’ve tried a handful, 2 70s Js, a 70s P and a SCPB. I was generally impressed overall, especially the SCPB. Maybe because I’m not as used to those and I was really having fun with it! ;) I believe all had Pau Ferro fretboards, so no help with the maple, but I thought they all sounded great.

My major qualm with them is the gloss neck finish. I much prefer the satin-y finish, rosewood board and over all “broken in feel” on my 2001 standard neck. I’d probably be more inclined to hang onto “plays great, feels fantastic” and continue playing with pickups and/or strings.

Just curious, what have you tried, and what are you going for? I just had the Fender 9050s on mine. I like them, but moved them to my other bass and put on GHS Pressurewounds. Love those strings! They’ve got a great punch and growl, but very non-round mellowness to them too.

12. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    For pickups, I‘ve tried the stock pickup and the one it has in it now. The stock ceramic was just kinda lifeless, I like the ALNICO one it has pretty well. Strings, I’ve tried whatever Rounds it came with, EB flats, and Fender 9050 flats. Sound I’m going for is kinda like a Dee Murray kinda tone I suppose? What I’m getting now is fine, it’s a very good “generic” bass sound, but not quite that classic p bass sound that I’m hearing in my head. It’s almost somewhere between a p and a j. Honestly the more I think about it, I’ll probably just have to rely on EQing the amp to get the tone I want, and learn to live with it looking rather drab.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    With you on the maple boards. But if you like the way it plays and just want it to punch you back a little you could upgrade the pickups and/or electronics.
    There are a lot of really great pickup upgrades. An easier but maybe more costly upgrade is a drop-in preamp.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  14. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    I owned both. The CV tuners didnt stay in tune, and I never thought it sounded amazing. I sold the CV and kept the MIM.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  15. equalizin

equalizin

May 6, 2020
    IMO The MIM 'should' be better but the CVs have better QC and consistently very good. If you want a MIM you need to play it first. The CV I had a few years back was as good as anything I've owned.

16. Rob Canham

Rob Canham

Oct 23, 2014
    Just bought 2 of the new CV P basses (one felt great, comparable in quality to the vintage modified series) but the other was a turd (poor shielding, uneven tension on tuners, frets not seated properly and truss rod didn't seem to work) so that was returned. I'd advise buying somewhere with a good returns policy.

PennyroyalWe and InstantEctobass like this.
  17. Regarding your Pbass. If you are happy with it and just want to improve the sound then maybe you should look at EMG Geezer butler pickups. They might give you the extra punch you are looking for. And for the neck, you can also simply replace the rosewood neck with a maple one. There are replacement necks available. Good luck.;)

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  18. I tried and played a few new CV basses, all had fret issues. My new mexican player Pbas on the other hand is perfect in all departments.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Holding out for a Matt Freeman is definitely worth it. I have one (since modded) that has become my dream PB. The neck is to die for. And the build quality is superb. I just fitted mine out with an Aguilar AG-4P-60 pickup because the factory pickup that’s special to that model was just a touch too aggressive for my tastes despite being a very fine pickup just the same.

And since I wanted to keep the original pickup and wiring harness completely intact in case I decided to switch it back someday, it got a new pickguard and wiring thrown in as part of the deal. Add in a set of LaBella Copper White Nylons and it’s a sound and feel it took me close to 50 years to find.

Life is good! :)

728BDB3B-FDDD-4EAC-91F3-91A3C75F69B9.jpeg
    Matt’s upscale Fender cousin has mostly been relegated to backup duties and situations where I want a super old school PB sound.
    CA1C5BEA-E68D-4F1C-AAE3-80862804FE56.jpeg

Yahboy likes this.
  20. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Try find the china CV70P or, similar build quality option - Fender Player P.

PennyroyalWe likes this.