1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mini-Rig for practicing - AmPlug?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by suwapp, Apr 10, 2018.

1. suwapp

suwapp

Jun 25, 2017
    Hey there!

I would like to buy gear for silent practicing, something I can move around in the apartment and can use with my earbuds, and does not require a lots of cables.

Currently I am using a Behringer bx600 (sometimes with earbuds), and I use my iphone for metronome&ireal&youtube, either with a small Jbl bluetooth speaker or with connected to the bx.
    (The bx600 has broken down on the weekend. I plan to fix it, but I am still intrested in setting up a mini-rig which is more family friendly).

I am thinking about buying an Amplug2 bass and a small bluetooth receiver so that I am able to to use my earbuds and still listen to backing tracks/metronome. Is this a good setup? Is there any other solution in similar/bit more expensive price range?
    I have read about the iRig hd, but it would require more cables and I am not sure that the amp app and the ireal would work properly together.

Thanks,
    Zoltan

2. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Roland Micro Cube Bass RX Bass Amp

I have one. I love it. Does what you want - just one cable, headphone access, and it's pretty full sounding for how small it is.

It can get plenty loud, about yelling/shouting volume without farting out if needed.

You can power it with a one spot, it takes a 9v DC.

It costs quite a bit more than your Amplug, but it offers so much. I have no experience with the amplug.

3. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I sometimes use my Zoom B3 when I just want to plug in and play using some headphones. It can run on batteries as well which may be good for you. Another plus is that it is a multifx unit so you can throw on some fx, model amps, and use it with your full rig too. It has drum machine/metronome but I don't recall if it has an auxillery in or not.

4. Jonathan C

Jonathan C Supporting Member

May 31, 2016
    Smithtown, NY
    Amplug 2, been using for a few years now. Use Sony MDR headphones and the auxiliary input with music from phone or pc. Has plenty of volume and sounds more than good enough for silent practice I use rechargeable AAA nicads, worth it.
    Rumble 40 for live practice does not get used all that much.

5. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I use a Blackstar Fly3 Bass dual. Batteries or a/c, MP3 line in, headphone out.

Fly 3 400.

6. I run pedal board into this, then hook the USB to my computer. Gives me play-along capability and silent practice. And it's cheap. I use to use a Zoom B3 and that is another good option for standalone.
    ART Pro Audio

7. physics

physics

Aug 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    I have the AmPlug2 for bass. It's okay but the amp has a lot of internal hiss; I also have a Fender V3 Rumble 40 that I use mostly for practice, with the headphone out jack.

8. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
  9. Dan in NJ

Dan in NJ

Sep 3, 2004
    Jersey Shore
    I just got it, AP2-BS. Sounds fine. The iRig2 requires you download Mp3 or files if you want to practice with tracks. I use a music streaming service, much easier to just jack the phone into the Amplug.

10. suwapp

suwapp

Jun 25, 2017
    Thanks for your suggestions. I have decided to go with a Vox Amplug2 bass and a Blitzwolf bluetooth receiver. Sorry for the late response, I have just received the Blitzwolf. So now I just plug this stuff into my bass and I can play backing tracks with my phone :)

On the picture you can see my extraordinary engineering skills :) Somehow it would be nice to attach these two items together with a short cable, but I need to experiment a bit with this. Firts attaching the Blitzwolf makes the Vox heavier, so it rotates around as you move the guitar. Second, if the Blitzwolf is close (<0,5cm) to a particular part of the Vox it will be noisy.
    So it is solved for now in an ugly way :( I need to improve on that.

Also I am gathering experience with the battery lives for both devices. I can’t say anything about them.

All in all I think this will work. Instead of plugging the phone into the Vox with a cable (I have an iphone 8 which does not have audio jack just lightning, so I need an additional cable for that), I can just simply use BT. Also if I I need to charge my phone I can move it around easily. Putting down the bass is still a bit incomfortable, becase I have a stand where you need to unplug the bass to put down, but this is a minor thing.

If you are interested I can post about my progress with my little Frankenstein Rig :)

Regards,
    Zoltan

Attached Files: