1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mixer mains L/R out to single poweramp input?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by hobbes1, Oct 11, 2013.

1. hobbes1

hobbes1

Nov 3, 2006
    I've been looking around via google and here and I'm not seeing an answer to my question.

I have a Yamaha MM1402 mixer and a Carvin DCM1015 poweramp. The Yamaha mains our is stereo L and R, 1/4" outs and the Carvin has two channels, each with a 1/4" and XLR input (you can use only one or the other for each channel). I'm wondering if there is any type of cable that has two 1/4" jacks on one end and a 1/4" or XLR on the other such that I could run the STEREO out from the mixer into just one channel of the power amp (and from there to two PA speakers) and then the same for the monitor L/R outs from the mixer to the other channel of the poweramp (and then to two monitor speakers).

sorry for the noob question. I'm not used to running the sound and learning as I go.
    Thanks in advance!

2. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    It seems you got it, except why do you have to go stereo to mono in the first place?

3. hobbes1

hobbes1

Nov 3, 2006
    maybe my noob-ness is really shining through here but what I want to do is amplify a stereo signal on each channel of the power amp to output through a pair of PA speakers on each channel. in effect, I'd like to be able to serve both the FOH speakers and the monitor speakers off one power amp. Maybe this isn't an option unless I have to buy another power amp..?

4. As long as you keep all the channels panned to the centre, then it doesn't matter if you use L or R output, they'll be giving you the same signal.

The real question is whether your power amp is sufficient for running two sets of speakers.

5. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Run either Left OR Right main to 1 power amp input. You can make any kind of adapter cable you want, but you're not going to get stereo out of 1 channel, so what you're suggesting is pointless. Pan everything toward the Left or Right (whichever you're using) if it makes you feel better, but it won't be necessary. Just don't pan anything to the side that you're NOT using. Many mixers have a mono out, & you can use that if you have one.

6. hobbes1

hobbes1

Nov 3, 2006
    this amp is rated to two ohms per channel and will output a fair amount of power (i think 750w/channel at 2 ohm).

makes sense about the panning. I suppose that's why the only y-cable i've seen for sale is two mono 1/4" jacks and one "stereo" 1/4" jack per cable. essentially, it's the same i guess.

7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    And I doubt you have a "L/R monitor out" - never seen stereo monitor outs.

8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    OK - I stand corrected - just saw a close up pic - Mon L and R - weird.

9. It's just a weird way to provide 2 individual monitor sends.

10. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    You can use either the left or right stereo output to go into one channel of your power amp. Don't bother with the "Y cable", you won't gain anything. Then, take the "Aux 1" output into the other channel of the power amp for your monitors. Then, the Aux 1 knob on each channel will allow you to send a separate mix for the stage monitors. The Main Aux 1 knob will control the volume of that mix to the other channel of your amp. That Aux 1 mix is also set up to be "pre-fader" so if you bring the channel down in the house mix, it will not be off in the aux 1/monitor mix. The outputs labeled 'Moni Out L and R" are used if you're using the mixer in a recording situation. I won't go into all the details here.

11. hobbes1

hobbes1

Nov 3, 2006
    @audioglen: thanks for a concise explaination and suggestion. this is precisely what i needed to hear and will be doing.

thanks to all who chimed in here.

12. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Not a problem, Hobbes1. Glad I could help.

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you need a hand, give me a yell.

Riis

14. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    This is it. What it implies is that your main output (1 side of your power amp) will go parallel first to one main speaker, then the other, for either 4 or 2 ohms total depending on whether your mains are 8 or 4 ohms each. Since it's mono, it really won't matter if your channels are panned L, R, or centered. Same is basically true for your aux sends. I think this is a typical mixer / 1 power amp /mains / monitor set-up. If you add another power amp, then it becomes easy to run mains in stereo (so the pan matters) and have a 2nd aux mix if your mixer provides that capability. Call any time :)

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Run the mains mono and aux the monitors.

16. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Are you running the sound from the stage while you're playing?
    If so, I find it helpful to have the same mix in my monitor as the FOH. I send one main out from the mixer to the FOH processors and amp; the other to the monitor processors/amp.

17. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Mon or mono? Some gear is marked "L (mono)" and "R". If you don't plug anything into "R", then the output is summed onto "L (mono)".

18. hobbes1

hobbes1

Nov 3, 2006
    Thanks, Riis! Will do :)

19. hobbes1

hobbes1

Nov 3, 2006
    Yes, mixing from the stage while playing. I'll probably experiment with the mixes and see what everyone likes. The flexibility of the Aux to monitors is nice to have though. Thanks!