1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixing Clean & Dirty Signals with a Boss LS-2

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Rtdmn92, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Rtdmn92

Rtdmn92

Feb 5, 2010
    I have been using a Big Muff Pi as my only effect. I would really like to sneak the clean low and chunky signal back underneath all the fuzz.

I think saw Scott Devine do something similar with the LS-2, but with a low octave underneath as opposed to an unaffected signal.

So if I were to have the Muff in the A loop and just a short cable as the B loop and mixed them, does that seem like it would give me the tone I'm looking for?
    I've heard of people running clean to one amp and affected to a second amp (such as Tim from RATM), but I'm hoping that this will prove to be a viable cheaper option.

Thanks in advance!

2. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    You don't need a short cable for the B loop; there's an automatic connection between send and return when nothing is plugged in.

I actually run something like this...I have a dirt channel (MXR fuzz, Agro, EQ to strip out the lows) on A, and a chorus on B. That way I get my dirty/crunch, with a clean/crisp alongside. And with the EQ engaged, I can get a bi-amped sound, as though my dirt is coming from a guitar amp, and my clean from a bass amp.

Typically, the loop trick you described is done to bring back definition and lows typically lost to distortion and (especially) fuzz. But you can certainly take it further than that. I love the arrangement I have, but will probably move the fuzz to the "clean" channel, so i can have the Agro and fuzz in parallel, and I like how the chorus and fuzz interact.

The LS-2 is a very powerful tool for its price.

3. Rtdmn92

Rtdmn92

Feb 5, 2010
    Awesome, that is incredibly helpful. I'm glad it's worked well for you and I can't wait to get mine now!

4. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    just my soapbox rant;
    if you have any soldering skills, you'd be amazed at how easy a blender would be to DIY

I have a few Ive made with various eq's on the clean signals- low pas to just add some 'fatness' or one with a scooped mid to add some fat low end and some bright punchy tone

5. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Glad to be of service!

Here is what my signal path will look like in a couple of days (minus the Mastotron in the 2nd spot):

Pedalrouting_zpsed1d4799.

And yes, it is possible to solder up and ABY...however, my soldering skills are a bit caveman-like, and it was worth the $60 for me to have all the options I wanted, and have them done right (rather than the weeks I'd invariabley spend looking for the cold solder joint).

EDIT: Have a look around the PYPB thread(s) in the Effects forum...all sorts of interesting application of loopers/blenders over there...crazy things like fuzz on one channel, Micro Pog, Chorus and Delay on the other.

6. jaibeau

jaibeau my fingers hurt Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL / ERNIE BALL
    PYPB thread? Explain- I'm looking for looping ideas.