1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixing EBS pedals with DBX rackmount through a FX loop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TonyP-, Sep 24, 2008.

1. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Mixing EBS pedals with DBX rackmount through a FX loop?

Are there any issues with line levels?

Is anyone doing it?

I don't like to have anything in between my bass and pre/amp.

I would like to add some of the EBS gear through the FX loop if possible but I'm not sure if there are any line level issues.

I really like using the DBX 166 compressor when I can and own a couple of them (1 in each rack). Ideally I would like to use that and some of the more color oriented effects by EBS.

Give me your skinny ;):bag:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    EBS pedals (the small ones anyway, IDK about the Valvedrive) are not at all able to handle a line level input, nor are they able to produce a line level output. So if your fx loop runs at line level, then you cannot use the pedals in that loop. Not all fx loops run at line level, and "line level" can mean a wide range of signals anyway, but even the low end of that definition (-10dBu) is hotter than the small EBS pedals can handle.

3. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I'm going to try some experiments tonight.

The pre's that I'm using are either the Alembic F-1X or the BBE BMax-t.

4. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    I run a Drawmer rackmount compressor at +4 dBu into the pre-loop of my E(vil) World T(Domination) 800B, and trick it into thinking it's in a balanced loop by running the cables pseudo-balanced. Then, in the post loop, I run out of the loop into three EBS pedals, back to the rackmount Lexicon MPX 1 in stereo, out of the Lexicon into an Aphex Rackmount in stereo, and back out in stereo to a stereo Visual Volume pedal and back to the amp in stereo. I have also wired it many different ways over the years, and with different rackmount effects, but I have had the EBS pedals since 1996 or so. The EBS pedals happily interact with rackmount gear at unbalanced line levels (-10 dBu) and at balanced levels (+4dBu) in a pseudo-balanced configuration, which is nice and quiet.

For a great description of pseudo-balancing, how it works, and how to implement it in your system, download the Aphex Aural Exciter (rackmount) manual. Some amazing stuff there; really good info. Psuedo balancing lets your gear run with red hot levels dead silently, with little or no chance of ground loops. It's a bit of a hassle to get it happening (you need trs stereo plugs everywhere, and clip the appropriate shielding in one direction only) but man does it work well.

Manual here:

http://www.aphex.com/204.htm

Pdf at top of page.

Cheers,
    Cameron

PS: my dead silent system (can't see all the pedals, sorry):

MTD-with-rig1.

5. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Intresting...Thats good to hear.

I have not had a chance to play with it...

I have been doing a ton of other stuff musically at the moment to really let me hear it in a full band situation.

I will report my findings thought

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Interesting. I guess all I can say is that our experiences differ.

7. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    mine are the original 'blue' series made in Sweden back when the company was still teeny. Perhaps the new ones aren't as robust.

Cheers,
    Cameron

8. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    those pedals were designed to go in the effects loops of the EBS amps and be powered by their proprietary phantom power system, so they have to be able to take line level.

Cheers,
    Cameron

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't see what's so bad about putting pedals between the bass and preamp. I really think the difference is overrated. A noisy tonesucking pedal isn't going to be less noisy in the loop. And you miss out on some cool pedals that are built to go in line.

10. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    I can hear the difference.

Thats why I want to use the loop.