Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mixing for dummies (or teenagers)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Hey all. I just recorded on of my better songs, but I have a problem. It's gonna be a bitch and a half to mix the sucker. The song sctructer I have so far is

Intro(which consists of a guitar in E-G-B-G-A-E tuning being plucked behind the nut)-fadeout intro, fade insong itself (drums, guitar and bass)-fadeout song, fadein outro (consists of intro, but with various guitar feedback low in the mix to give it a backdrop)

I have abosolutely no idea how I should mix the song itself. I have one drum track, in mono, 1 guitar track in stereo, and one bass track in stereo. My problem is I can never get it how I want it. I think I might have an easier time with the intro and outro, since I know exactly how I want it (the outro maybe a little harder than expected though.)

So can anyone out there give me some tips on mixing?

2. well, i find that a useful tool is if your mixer has a good preamp, cut all the treble, and boost the mids and bass to practically equal; it'll sound a little metallic if you're not careful, so adjust your tone some. the mids are good for vocalizing the bass, and the bass is just thickness. if you have gain, keep that low, otherwise you'll overload the signal. guitarist keeps all parts of the preamp and gets gain, or at least thats how my setup works.