1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM SUB or KSD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by koentje_bassist, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Musicman SUB active, 4 string

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. KSD '70 jazz with active-passive switch, 4 string

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. koentje_bassist

koentje_bassist

Jun 24, 2006
    Belgium
    Hello everybody,

It seems like I've got 2 options left from my long research. I want a second bass that has the balls I want.
    I'm in for wild fingerstyle and funky slapping (especially RHCP). Last weeks I use overdrive as it should be (muse, QOTSA, jamiroquai). Those are my main influences (I also like to play dire straits and stuff, but you don't need a special bass for that).

Two option left with my semi-budget (700€, donnow how much dollars that is)

1) Musicman SUB active (4 string)
    [​IMG]

2) KSD 70's J Bass, 4 String 34" Scale with active//passive switch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Usually don't like polls, but heck yeah! here we go!

2. KSD.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Slapping? Chili Peppers? Balls?

You want a Music Man. It's got the grapes.

Graeme

EDIT: You could probably get a used "real" StingRay for that much money.

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    KSD... great bass. Good value. I have a real 70's jazz bass and it plays and feels great. The sub is nice with great tones. If you want to sound like Flea get the musicman. If you want versatility get the KSD

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

MM S.U.B. 'cause it's gotta be way lighter than the KSD! I just can't stand heavy basses!

6. koentje_bassist

koentje_bassist

Jun 24, 2006
    Belgium
    I see that 8 men voted for the KSD. Though I see just one saying something about it. Please give me some talk about it.
    I like the playing feel of the SUB. But I don't like it because it's still a cheap copy. I never had the chance to play on a KSD, but I recently played on a Fender '70 Am. Vintage jazz and I liked it big time. This one goed far above my budget. Is the KSD just like it? And can I get a good chilli tone out of it?
    Thanks

PS: I play on a Marshall B150. I like to dial in a slightly overdrived signal.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Try both. They are very different.

If you want a new SUB, I'd suggest you hurry up, since MM has discontinued them.

BTW, I had one (5er, active), and they are great.

Cheers
    Jay

8. koentje_bassist

koentje_bassist

Jun 24, 2006
    Belgium
    I can get a used SUB for 600€, new KSD for 720€

9. Again, try both and see which is your cup of tea. Personally, I'd try and snag a real used SR4 as suggested before.

10. koentje_bassist

koentje_bassist

Jun 24, 2006
    Belgium
    My budget isn't that stretchable. It's almost 50% more. I play on a stagg for 4,5 years now and I want something new. If I have to wait until I can buy a used stingray, it would take a year. I'm still studying sports (last year) so the next one I hope to earn some money that I could spend on a gallien krueger. I prefer secondhand goods, but I cannot find a used KSD. German is too far away for me to test one.
    Just want to know what the KSD feels and sounds like. It got some Fender MM spec's. Like the happy-slappy tone of that. Also like the fat booming musicman. I'm no pro so it's not easy to hear the differences.

11. koentje_bassist

koentje_bassist

Jun 24, 2006
    Belgium
    I've bought the musicman SUB and I'm so very happy with it.
    It has the typical growl!

Thanks for the advice.
    A jazz will arive when I become old ;)

12. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I don't think it is fair to consider it a cheap copy. It is just a no-frills version of it's bigger brothers. Same quality, a little less work on the asthetics. My personal opinion is that they are definitely the best bargain I've seen around in a lot of years. One of the least expensive U.S. made instruments and made by a company that gives a crap about quality. Too bad they are being discontinued :( Good choice and you definitely should get some miles out of that one!

13. soniq

soniq

Apr 19, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    The SUB is a quality American-made instrument which has the bite and growl of a Stingray at half the cost. I vote SUB.

14. If you want to slap be careful with the tight string spacing of the SUB, if I were u I'd get a 4 string SUB or a wide spaced 5 (eg. lakland)

15. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    People... he already bought the SUB, congrats BTW.
    Remember, no pics no bass, that's the rule.

16. koentje_bassist

koentje_bassist

Jun 24, 2006
    Belgium
    the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the advice. I really like it now I've boiled the old flea signature strings. Plays like heaven. I feel the bottom end wandering in my room. Happier than ever.