1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modded ODB-3 sound clips

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jumblemind, Mar 23, 2013.

1. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    There are lots of old threads talking about modding the ODB-3, but most only offer loose descriptions at best, so I thought I'd document my upgrades. I wasn't as interested in the popular tri-gain kit because I actually like the fuzz sound of the pedal...I have other pedals when I want overdrive. So I did a few of Wampler's mods and made clips after each one so I could check the difference. I didn't do the diode mod because, again, I wanted to keep the saturation.

Background: My need is for a single fuzzy distortion pedal with lots of low end for a cover gig. I have a big muff clone that sounds great but needs an EQ pedal behind it to boost and sit in the mix. My ODB-3 has always had tons of beef for the mix, but I have to use a compressor/limiter in front of it to tame the sharp and spiky highs. I think the three Wampler mods will put me in a good place. I used to cut the pedal's High EQ and crank the Low, on top of keeping the tone on my bass dialed all the way off, but now I'll have more flexibility.

Audiophyle Caveat: This is purely for reference purposes on the relative tone enhancements of the mods for the curious. I'm not a good noodler or practicer, so expect these to be off time, unoriginal, and a bit sloppy. I also lack a good recording setup. The janky chain is as follows:
    Squier CV 60sP > ODB-3 pedal > GK MB200 direct out > Behringer 2-channel mixer > Griffin iMic > GarageBand

Pedal Settings: Gain 10 o'clock / Balance (blend) 12 o'clock / HighEQ 9o'clock LowEQ 3 o'clock / Level (stock clip) 9 o'clock, Level (all mod clips) 10 o'clock (first mod that took out the spiky highs also affected signal strength)

ODB-3 stock

ODB-3 mod 1 (swapping c8, basically creating more low pass filtering)

ODB-3 mod 2 (mod 1 + swapping c10)

ODB-3 mod 3 (mods 1 & 2 + swapping r31)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    zapped777 and totallyfrozen like this.
  2. liveburning274

liveburning274 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Very nice sir! Not too many people document things this way, but it is very helpful. Good work!

totallyfrozen likes this.
  3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Awesome sound samples you got there. I like the first 2 clips. they sound pretty cool.

4. KhzDonut

KhzDonut

Jan 7, 2013
    None
    I liked clip #2 the best.