1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modding a Schecter Studio 5..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    Has anyone here modded an Stilletto Studio 5? I am thinking of doing just that.. I have been looking at EMG pups.. the ones in there are the stock ones.. I believe they are the 40HZs. I am npot sure of the pre amp.. I am not sure if I should just upgrade the preamp.. or do both.. According to EMG's site these pups are passive.. so I am assuming that the "active" part of my bass that requires the 2 9v batteries is just the pre amp..

I have been looking at the EMG X series and/or EMG active series.. Does it matter what pre amp I use? For the Preamp I was thinking of an OP 3 or another EMG Pre.. but I am not familiar with any of them. Is there a way to hear the sounds of the different pre amps? Does anyone have a similar situation and can you giove me some insight into the sound.. I play fingerstyle mostly and some slap.. contemporary Christian and Gospel mostly.. and some Latin music.. I dont like a raw sound.. but the nice thing about decent gear is usually you can tweak it to how you want it.. any suggestions.. comments on how to go about doing this. I am looking at spending about $275-$375 ....

2. I also have a studio 5, honey satin, gold hardware.
    The EMG40hz are passive, the pre amp is active and it is also EMG.
    Most people that mod schecters change the pre first then the pickups. I also am looking into this so I am interested to see what people say. I am looking at the OP3 as well and some different EMG pups. I see you are a member of the schecter club, go back through that thread and see what others have done to mod their schecters, this should give you a good starting point.

3. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    Yeah there was a guy who put an OP3 in his. I thought I had bookmarked the post but it is not where I thought it was.. I am still looking.. that might be a good idea though.. to do the pre first.. I like the specs on some of those other EMGs.. although the ear of course is the final judge.. I was also looking at keeping it all EMG.. just upgrading.. I will definitely let you know what I do..

4. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm considering saving up to drop some Seymour Duncans in mine and totally replace the pre amp. The EMG's they put in it just don't have balls...

I wanna replace the hardware in mine and make it all black...

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I put EMG DCs in my Studio 6, and I love them. The preamp reminds me of the Stingray preamp - useful, but transparent. If I could afford to, I'd probably change it to a Noll or an OBP-3, but I'm perfectly content with the preamp

Changing the pickups does wonders. Normally I'm a preamp before pickups kind of guy, but the EMG HZs are definitely the weaker link.

6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    Me too.. that's what I was thinking of... I like the specs on that ]EMG BQS setup.. but it looks like some of these pups come with preamps.. am I reading that right? Or is that just a basic preamp? EMG 40CS Pups...

7. laboitenoire

laboitenoire

Jul 5, 2006
    With active EMGs, the preamp is physically built into the pickup. They just come with a passive tone stack.

8. Davematthewsfan

Davematthewsfan

Sep 22, 2009
    I have a pair of EMG active 40P5 pickups that would probably fit in there. They are 5 string p-bass pickups that use blades instead of pole pieces. They sit in a humbucker casing. They were originally in my Modulus Q5 and they sound fat but also growly.

http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/118/28/2

Mine are an older version, probably from the nineties but essentially the same thing. PM me if interested.

9. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    Hmmm...

Do they have the connectors on them or will I have to solder... ? They may not be what I want.. but it is something to consider...

10. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    Hmmm...

Do they have the connectors on them or will I have to solder... ? They may not be what I want.. but it is something to consider...

Also.. In light of..

This BQS is a preamp correct? So if that is the case does that mean that if I got active PuPs with the pre in them.. that I wouldnt need that? Or is that BQS just a volume, tone shaping control.. ?

11. Davematthewsfan

Davematthewsfan

Sep 22, 2009
    The pickups I have need to be soldered as they pre-date the connector system. Not a huge deal if you've done it before. The pickups don't technically have a preamp installed but active pickups are quite different to passive pickups in that the tone is shaped a bit by the pickup (not adjustable though). I'd recommend an Aguilar OPB-1 (or 2 or 3) preamp as it has more character and tone than the EMG preamps.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021