1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modding a Warwick. Need help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMonstrum, Jul 26, 2012.

1. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    So, I have this Warwick Streamer Std that a friend of mine modified many years ago. It used to have two MEC soapbars and passive electronics, but now has two Seymour Duncan MusicMan pick-up's and a three-way active Seymour Duncan preamp. The electronics does not work simply because I managed to snap off the wire leading from the battery compartment to the pre-amp and since I have no soldering skills and prefer my Fenders this bass has been collecting dust.

However, I am on the verge off taking one of the MM pick-ups and installing it near the bridge of my Fender P-bass. So, my question is; what should I do with the Warwick? I've been considering simplifying it by taking out the preamp and running it passive and adding some sort of pickguard to cover the hole from the neck p/u that I'm removing and the extra knobs that I won't be needing.

Bear in mind, I rarely if never use this bass at all as I am more comfortable with my Fenders, so I'm not willing to spend a lot of money on this bass. In fact, I've also considered taking the other pick-up and installing it by the bridge of my Cimar fretless Jazz, leaving the Warwick with no pick-ups at all.

2. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    Return it to stock and sell it.

3. gricko

gricko

Mar 29, 2004
    it is not warwick, but new[er] rockbass, that has W on headstock. made in far east.
    meaning - it does not have big resale value, stock or not.

gut it, use electronics and sell it as a project bass.

4. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Wow. I'd say please don't torture that once proud bass anymore. Sell it for a fixer upper (ie:return to stock) or give it a proper burial.

5. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    Rather than canibalize a nice instrument and mod it into a less nice instrument, why not fix the wire (inexpensive), sell and use the dough to buy the stuff to mod your Fender?

6. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    I was looking at the bridge and wondering that. But I'm not enough of a Warwick expert to know if they used gotoh style bridges on any of their basses besides the Rockbass line.

7. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    It's not a rockbass. The neck is ovankol. Well at least the neck isn't rockbass.

8. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    do you have the original pickups/preamp?? and have the pickup routes been routed larger for the MM pickups, or are they stock??

9. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    It is a german made Warwick. These "streamer standards" were made before the Rockbass line. They came standard passive. I'm pretty sure this was routed to accomodate the duncans. I would sell it cheap as a fixer upper. It is possible someone could salvage the preamp......maybe.......

If you remove the pickups and want to let the parts go as a whole, fixer upper please PM me......thanks

10. madmachinist

madmachinist

Dec 28, 2008
    why not reconnect the wire leading from the battery compartment to the pre-amp ? ***?

that's likely a good bass . a decent instrument in its
    own right .

any competent guitar shop could fix it in five minutes for
    the cost of a six-pack .

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    :confused:

German made Warwicks have a W on the headstock.

12. shaft311

Apr 13, 2010
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    That is true, but the newer Rockbasses (Rockbaii? :)) have the W headstock, as do the Korean made Pro series.

13. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I just don't want the spread of misinformation.

14. Bear in mind, I rarely if never use this bass at all as I am more comfortable with my Fenders, so I'm not willing to spend a lot of money on this bass. In fact, I've also considered taking the other pick-up and installing it by the bridge of my Cimar fretless Jazz, leaving the Warwick with no pick-ups at all.-Quote

If that's the case, sell it. Otherwise, put an empty pup cover in the route & play it. Or, better yet, send it to me. I'll play it.

15. shaft311

Apr 13, 2010
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    Cool.

Brotherbassj's info is also correct.