1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modding my MIM Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by superhand, Sep 27, 2009.

1. superhand

superhand

Sep 14, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    What is the best single upgrade I can make to my stock Fender Jazz MIM?

Bridge? Pickups?

Whaddya think?

2. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    both.

I put a bad ass II bridge and DiMarzio ultra jazz's in mine. sounds great. and plays pretty well after a good set up.

you can do both for under $200

3. superhand

superhand

Sep 14, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    Are Bad Ass IIs available anywhere in chrome? Last I checked, I couldn't find them anywhere.

4. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Does the Badass II actually make that much difference? Will it improve my American Deluxe precision bass?

5. Depends - what's wrong with it? If nothing's wrong, it probably doesn't need to be upgraded.

6. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Really, what Pilgrim said -- the best upgrade is the one that fixes something you're not happy with.

If I could only afford one change, it'd probably be the pickups -- you can get outboard preamps any time, and I'm not sure a new bridge would be the first thing to make a big impact.

But, if my tuners were constantly slipping, or were a pain to use when tuning up, I'd invest in new tuners before changing the pups.

If I wanted a preamp, but didn't want any outboard things, then it'd be a new preamp.

If my bridge didn't let me get the intonation right, or the screws tended to shake loose, etc. I might replace that first.

So, basically, what Pilgrim said :)

7. tttttt

tttttt

Dec 27, 2008
    Copper shielding in the control and pickup cavities. Star ground everything, including the bridge. Quiets the noise and no other components are changed. Cheapest best upgrade if you can do the work yourself.

8. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses

Being rational, what a concept!

Id'a said, "Shim the neck".

9. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Lol, good one. Shim the neck.... at least twice, it will solve all your problems and get you laid, and there will be a pot of gold in the neck pocket too.

I put a Badass 2 on my MIM, and while its nicer than the standard one (dosnt move about), I didnt notice any change in sound, so if you dont like the sound at the moment, go for pickups.

10. The only things that are likely to actually change your sound are:

Pickups
    Strings

Everything else ia a minor factor (if any factor at all) compared to these.

11. derekd

derekd

Feb 16, 2009
    KC
    I bought a 9 year old MIM J bass on ebay pretty cheaply. It had a BA II bridge and upgraded Fender pups on it. I am pretty pleased, but the crappy tuners slip.

What tuners would be suggested on a bass that is worth about $250?

12. First - are you installing the strings properly, with the end tucked into the center hole and wound from the top of the tuner down? Sometimes it's not the tuners....

13. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    All my fenders have the Badass II bridge. It's much better than the stock fender crap IMO.

14. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    Yes! The Badass=huge difference. Better is a matter of opinion. My opinion is much, much better.

15. i put a badass-2 on my mim fender jazz and the most obvious difference is i can set my action WAY lower w no fret buzz. the high action was by biggest pet peeve on this bass as im used to playing a peavey cirrus 5. i had no idea the new bridge would even affect the action, but it did. i also put a sd sjb-3 brigde pup on there and that made a big difference as well. -joep

16. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    Based on the plethora of threads here about aftermarket bridges, I'm going to start a new club...the "I love my stock Fender bridge" club. Any takers?

17. hehe..no

18. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    That is so funny.

19. I'm in! That's a simple, elegant, functional piece of hardware that does its job and has done it well for more than 50 years. :D