1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Modern" Sound...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CiRRuS~BaSS, Apr 28, 2009.

1. CiRRuS~BaSS

CiRRuS~BaSS

Jan 20, 2008
    Hey guys, Ive been doin research on strings for awhile cuz my stock strings are definitely dead. Ive got a Peavey Cirrus and Im looking for strings that will give me a "modern" sound. Nice highs, full lows, and punchy mids.

The easiest thing for me to do would be to just start trying out different sets. But being a college student aint cheap, so Im just looking to see what you guys use to get that "modern" tone.

Ive looked at DR Sunbeams and Lo-Riders, but everything Ive read so far has people using them on P's or J's. Im not sure how they'll sound on a Cirrus...

(When I say modern, I mean gospel/r&b/maybe a little modern country. Justin Raines, Andrew Gouche, etc...)

Thanks.

2. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Eventhough they don't last as long as I would like, Peavey Cirrus strings are the ticket for me.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

3. CiRRuS~BaSS

CiRRuS~BaSS

Jan 20, 2008
    bump....anyone else?

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    DR's all the way. If you have any preferences, find DR's that match em :D

I personally like Sunbeams, but found Hi-beams to have a great modern tone, a bit more sheen on top because of the stainless steel. But hex core, round core, stainless, nickel, heavy, light, colored, you name it, DR makes it. And they make it very, very well.

5. DR Lo-Riders are definitely worth a look but If "your" modern means anything like "my" modern, then hook yourself up with some Ken Smiths! Punchy, growly, bright at first but they get a really full tone after maybe 2 weeks to a month of frequent playing. One of my basses is strung with some Ken Smith Masters (not sure which...) and the other is strung with Taper Cores. I don't think the taper cores are much different tonally. I've heard good things about the Compressors as well. Any way you go you can't go wrong with some Smiths.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I own a Cirrus. I will tell you that just about ANY new set of strings will sound modern on that bass. It's really bright, and sometimes kinda hard to make sound "warmer". You should be good to go with just about any brand.

7. CiRRuS~BaSS

CiRRuS~BaSS

Jan 20, 2008
    Thanks for the thoughts.

Ill take a look at the Ken Smith's. I hadnt thought of them before.

8. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    +1 to what two fingers said!

IME, DR Sunbeams (which are GREAT - my favorite roundwound string, in fact), tend to be a bit warmer sounding due to them being nickel. I'd recommend some DR Hi-Beams... they're very bright, and coupled with a Cirrus? That's about as 'modern' sounding as you can get IMO! :)