1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mods to MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fontaine, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    hello everyone, well sadly im still waiting for my Standard MIM Fender Jazz after it got backordered, but im just wondering what mods should i get done to it to help make the sound a little better and a little more punk/grunge.

I was considering getting a BAII bridge and upgrading the pickups to DiMarzio style to get a sound similar to a precision.

what other things do you guys think i should look into, or change what i am already thinking about?

2. Pickguard, Knobs, Straplocks

I put a BAII and Basslines Vintage in the neck position and Hot in the Bridge position. A pearloid pickguard and American style knobs.

3. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    i got a red pearloid pg on the way, and i plan on getting the locks!!, but im more concerned about sound

4. Ive got new allparts tuners and bridge, blue perloid pickgaurd, and basslines pickups. It sounds awesome.

5. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    got any sound clips?

6. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    This guy nailed it...

7. Here is mine. 2000. Thinking about putting a tort on instead.

DSC_0009.

EDIT: My pickup specs

Neck pickup :

SJB-1 vintage for jazz bassĀ®
    see | tone chart | dimensions sjb-1n | dimensions sjb-1b

application Vintage-correct true single-coil. Perfect for country, pop, blues, and classic rock.
    description The hand-ground Alnico 5 magnets and moderate windings bring out the warmth and fullness of the instrument while maintaining clarity and definition. Comes with waxed cloth hookup cable and non-logo cover.
    complete setup Calibrated neck and bridge set. Neck pickup is slightly narrower. Neck is RW/RP for hum canceling when both pickups are used together. Often used together with STC-2 or -3 Tone Circuits for optimal tonal control.
    available mods Comes in any color you want. As long as it’s black.
    players Chopper Anderson / Reba McEntire, David Bronze / Eric Clapton, Tim Smith / Sheryl Crow

Bridge pickup:

SJB-2 Hot

application Hot single-coil. Recommended for pop, blues, classic rock and heavy rock.
    description This pickup is similar in design to the Vintage, but kicks up the output with more aggressive coil windings. Compared to the Vintage, there’s a heavier mid-range emphasis that makes this pickup well suited to rock tones. Includes logo cover.
    complete setup Calibrated neck and bridge set. Neck pickup is slightly narrower. Neck is RW/RP for hum canceling when both pickups are used together. Often used together with STC-2 or -3 Tone Circuits for optimal tonal control.
    players Chris Maresh / Eric Johnson, Matt Blackett / Luce

My favorite bass ever and I have owned Warwicks, Music Mans, etc.

8. I dont have any recording equipment so no soundclips... :(

9. Cheap upgrade for P-like sound - buy a push-pull pot and make it a series/parallel switch. I haven't done it (don't have a passive J) but I've heard a lot of people swearing it gets them close to a P. Cheaper than new pickups, and you might like it!

Steve

10. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    sounds cool, but would there have to be another hole drilled into the bass for this to be done or would it just replace the current tone pot?

11. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    You should be able to just swap out the orginal tone control and rewire the pups into the switch. The switch (push-pull) will control the series-parallel pup arrangement and the pot (tone control) will function just as the original. Make sure you get the same value pot as the original, such as 250k Ohms (or 500k Ohms, if you prefer). Check some of the wiring diagram websites to get an idea of whats involved and available (Guitar Electronics, Seymour Duncan, Stew-Mac, etc)...

12. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    and it should work for a passive?

13. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Especially for a passive...

14. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
  15. timmbass

timmbass

Oct 4, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
  16. .. Yes -All the above .. plus add some SHIELDING too!! Someone donated a MIM Jazz to the church about two months ago.. I've never in my life heard a more noisy instrument. I removed the neck the pickguard and chrome strip that contains the knobs/jack.. Not a trace of shielding in any cavity or under the PUPS.. It had really cheap pots and too-thin wire... I reduced the relief on the neck, redid the intonation and put a nice glossy coat of carnuba wax on it..

I'd never buy one of those for sure. Needs too many changes from the 'git go' for me.

17. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    can people at your local store add shielding?

im assuming its nothing major and shouldnt cost to much.

18. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Just buy some shielding tape, cut it to fit and slap it in there. Somewhat tedious cutting all the pieces, but not at all difficult. Just be sure you ground the tape somewhere. Of course, you will have to remove all of the electronics, but that is not difficult either (all you need is a screwdriver)...