Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Basses/D'Addario XL's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Arthur Poon, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    I'm relatively new to this forum-please give your opinions regarding to strings for the Modulus Quantum basses. I've been trying many different brands of strings on my Modulus Q-4 bass w/EMG pickups. Although I have'nt(and can't afford to) try every brand available I'm quite happy with the sound of D'Addario XL170's. I've tried GHS Boomers & Ernie Ball Super Slinkys gauged .100,.80,.65,.45. While all of these brands sound great, I personally prefer the XL170's for their warmth. The tone I go for is one with a solid low end, good emphasis on the mids, with a little less high end "zing". This has been a challenge due to the Q-4's graphite neck and composite fingerboard. IMO, the XL170's do a fine job. In the future I may try a set of D'Addario Slowwounds, but thus far the XL's sound really good to my ears.:)

Just my opinion. Modulus owners, please respond with what brand(s) you prefer. Thanks, Art Poon

2. Hi there :)

I have no idea about how they sound on a Modulus, but I play D'Addario strings too and they are my favorite kind of strings... Once I started with them I played nothing else :D

3. Thats excactly what Slowounds will sound like! I'm not a Modulus owner, but my Stingray sounds more mellow with the Slowounds, so they might be the ticket for you too.

4. I'm currently using Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky and I'm loving the tone and responce they give. I just took off a set of D'Addario's and I am greatful for the change.

One thing I would recommend for the sound you are aiming for. The Super Slinky is not really what you want, imho. I would suggest going with the Regular Slinky or even the Power Slinky which will give you that PHAT bottom end, solid middle and won't over emphasize the top end.

Also if you are willing to replace your strings every 2 to 4 months I would suggest you check out the Dean Markley Blue Steels in the same gauges, they have a tremendous drive with great resonance but tend to go flat very fast.

Good luck in your search.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I use GHS Super Steels on my Modulus Quantum 6. They make a Quantum fiver set to fit a Modulus. I just add a C string for the sixer set. Bright strings but not the brightest and they feel good...to me.