1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus Q 5 Neck has a chip

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bipslapper, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Hello (hope this is the correct forum to post)
    My Modulus Quantum has a small crack, or chip in the back of the neck behind the 9th fret. Just noticed it and have no idea how it happened. Seems to be minor, but want to be sure and do what's best. What do you guys suggest is the best course of action to fix problem & prevent future issues. l_0542b83d1df64fc49d4de58847b00a49.

I think it can be sanded down because it is graphite, but thought those "in the know" would, well ....know. Thanks in advance, Pete

Attached Files:

2. vejesse

vejesse

Apr 8, 2006
    Madison, Wi
    Double Bass Workshop
    Why don't you get a hold of someone at Modulus and ask how they would go about it. If it's deep how about filling most of the space with epoxy and silica filler? Do they use catalyzed urethane as a finish? If that's the case use superglue for a top coat drop fill.

3. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS
    +1 I have dealt with Rich Lasner at Modulus in the past and they have very good customer service. Give them a call or send an email. They will help you I'm sure!

4. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    +2 Modulus customer service is excellent and Rich is a very nice guy.

Oh how I miss my Q6... :atoz:

5. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Sorry to go off topic, but what type of wood is the top? :eek: It's one of the nicest I've ever seen!

6. Bipslapper

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Thanks Man, it's highly figured Maple (rock maple 5A) over Alder body with Bart pre and Bart pickups.
    I bought it in 2005 from Matt's Music in Weymouth,MA and I absolutely love it. Always wanted a Modulus Q5 and will never sell it. We have a lot of temperature/humidity changes in New England and I want a stable neck with minimal truss rod adjustments required.
    Thanks all for your fast response; I have never needed to deal with Modulus customer service, so I have no past history (will call them Monday morning). Sounds like you have all had positive results dealing with them.
    Appreciate your feedback. Cheers, Pete

7. Bipslapper

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Alas! They never called me back. Left numerous voice mails, sent about 4 emails and finally got back a generic email with FAQ's stating they were a small company and they receive numerous emails daily. :mad:
    I called the store that sold me the bass 5 years ago and he forwarded my request to the local sales rep, who also never called or emailed me. CS- is very poor. I believe they think that I chipped the neck knowingly and want a "free" warranty service, which is not the case.
    Would someone in the know offer a suggestion? Don't want it to get worse and can't easily sell the bass now :(

8. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

While you're making your mind up ;)

I've repaired stone chips that are easily that deep on the carbon fibre parts on my Ducati quite easily. I use epoxy resin and a tiny amount suffices. Apart from the resin, you'll need some tape, a small square of thickish polythene, some fine wet and dry emery cloth and some polishing compound.

Mix the resin, drop it into the chip (if the chip is deep you may need to fill it it several passes - but in your case it looks quite superficial and hasn't chipped into the weave). On the final fill with the resin try and fill it so that it is a tiny (and I mean tiny) bit proud of the surface, then mould the polythene over the chip and around the neck, taping it down tight. This will mould the epoxy to the profile of the neck. There may be a tiny little flash of resin that capilliaries between the now filled chip and the polythene, this is why you don't want to overfill by more than the merest amount.

The resin won't bond to the polythene, so when it's all cured and you remove it, a tiny amount of sanding should blend the new epoxy invisibly into the surrounding neck and a dash of polishing compound should see a virtually invisible repair.

It takes a bit of care but it's not rocket science and should be do-able with even modest skills.

9. Bipslapper

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Touche' I guess you can sense a wee bit of frustration.

Thank you Jools4001 (cool Ric reference I presume). Talkbass is great for the ideas and feedback, especially at such speedy replies. I may try your tips myself, or take the bass to my fav luthier and buy him a 6 pack (we are very good friends).

Cheers!

10. Pete, if I'd seen this earlier, I'd have probably had an answer for you...

...we have a new guy in the shop, he worked for Modulus for a few years. Hit me on Monday, and I'll find out if he has any suggestions.

:)

11. Bipslapper

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Gardfather,
    Thanks so much. Yeah you know of my troubles :meh: :) NO biggie, I have a new favorite company for basses. That's how I roll!
    Did you clean out the PM mailbox? I know Steve and Mike were trying to hook up. I will call the office Monday. Go celtics, eh?!

12. Yes, the PM box is clear, but you knew that ( ;) ) - nice score on the AC deal. :)

I'll be in at 9 am, and so will the guy I would need to ask...

...GO CELTICS! ;)