Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus VJ 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pistoleroace, Jan 10, 2004.

1. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I have been thinking about a Modulus VJ 4 with the graphite neck (not the GVJ 4) and have not had the chance to play one because there are no stores in my area. I would like to hear comments on quality of construction, tone, and feel. The pickup configurations I am curious about are the Bart./Bart. 2-band preamp and Villex.

As far as tone, is it clear and bright? Even volume on all strings and across the board? How good is the sustain?

Thank you

2. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    I had a VJ4 that I really liked. Alder body, 5A Quilt top, Bart's.........had a great jazz sound to it. Very even response from all the strings. Clarity too!

The graphite neck added some high end to the sound but the Bartolini pickups w the Aquilar 2 band EQ had plenty of tonal options if it was to bright.{however it was treble/bass boost only}.

The neck had a very comfortable jazz taper to it. Notes Sustained for days. Every note seemed to ring very clear{thanks to the graphite}.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that the body seemed wider than a normal jazz!

If it wasn't for this I would still own it.

all in all.....it was a very well made bass!

3. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to hear, except for the thicker body. I like a bright sound so the tone fits right in and of course, who would complain about having good sustain? Not me.

I have never played a graphite necked bass before but I think I would like it.

4. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Glad to help.........

Concerning the Size of the bass..I meant the Width (from top to bottom...where your right arm would be to the control cavity), not the thickness of the body. I also forgot to mention that it did NOT have a right arm taper{which was another reason It is no longer in my possesion}.

If these don't seem to be an issue than do yourself a favor a pick up one.........you will love the stabilty of Graphite.

Also if you order it online..make sure of there return policy(just in case you don't like it). Bass Central has a few VJ4's used that are priced right.

5. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    It can get bright sounds, but has some DEEP lows. Going direct this thing is a beast. If you want some soundclips IM me on AIM : JJd2sc

6. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    My main bass right now is a sunburst VJ-4 with a grenadillo fingerboard, and I'm absolutely in love with it. It's passive, so I can't be much help with the electronics options you're interested in, but I can say that I do enjoy the bart pickups. Very natural sounding, while maintaining lots of that jazz bass growl at the same time.

Mine is a very comfortable light weight, although I've heard that some can be a bit on the heavy side, so check the weight of the exact one you're getting first. As far as playability goes, I've yet to play an instrument that I like better. Nice low action, and the contour of the neck feels perfect in my hand. Overall, to me, it's a very slim feeling neck, with respect to width and depth. Everything about it just feels 'right' to me. And my favorite part about the graphite neck is that it feels that exact way every single time I pick her up, no matter what the weather here in Upstate New York is doing.

The last thing I'll mention is that I've found Modulus' consistency from instrument to instrument to be excellent - I've yet to play one that wasn't outstanding in the construction/playability dept. Whether or not the sound does it for you is another story...

So, as you can tell, I'm rather positive on these. I guess that's enough rambling for now...good luck.

Regards,
    Dave

7. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Dave,
    Thank you very much for your reply, I guess I will have to try one out, there is a place about two hours away that has two of them in stock with the Bart pickups/Bart two-band preamp so I will have to make a trip to try them out.

Thanks again,
    Shawn

8. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I just got one the other day. My intial is impression is: Awesome. Give me a few months and I will give you a more thorough review. Probably end up putting some villex pups in it though....

9. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    No doubt that the Modulus VJ4 is a awesome bass but might I suggest that you try the KSD-4.This bass is every bit as good as the Modulus and the playability is 2nd to none.However if it is tghe Modulus that you want you still can't go wrong.

10. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    I have a modulus VJ4 that I took all the parts off of and installed on a Warmoth Korina body. The sunburst body it came with was just way to heavy. The neck is the main reason for me buying it in the first place. I love it. My Fender P-Bass just sits in its case now. The VJ has great sustain, no dead spots and the feel is so smooth. I like the neck so much that I'm going to be selling my P-Bass neck and replacing it with a VJ neck. You can buy them separately if I understand correctly. I replaced the passive Bart's with Bill Lawrence PU's, The passive Bart's sounded great but I can't seem to leave well enough alone. I'm very happy with the BL's.
    Lex