1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Monday 11/22/10: Japanese Curry, Modular Synthesis

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by jmjbassplayer, Nov 22, 2010.

1. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    MD'ed Ke$ha's performance at AMA's last night. Fun and funny scene all around. Chilled w/ Diddy and Will I Am, super surreal. Check out the keyboard world I built for her out of bits from my studio. :) She's a good sport:

Otherwise, random sessions, nothing good or fun enough to comment on, frankly. Oh - except did a song last week for the new Ladytron record which is going to be sick. Oh - and a session w/ film composer Tyler Bates for new film "Sucker Punch". That's fun.

M83 record still plugging along when time permits. EMI sucks. Our tracks are epic beyond compare, though. I play bass about 10% of the time . The rest is what I seem to enjoy more of right now: drum programming, guitar, keyboards. :)

Got a hipster decorator over at my new house this morning, helping me pick out lamps, furniture, fabrics for curtains/blinds, where to hang my millions of gold records and other self-aggrandizing gig posters, photos, etc. (Actually all that stuff goes in the garage. ;)).

Downloading iOS 4.2 for my iPad and iPhone. I'm such an iSlut. Yippee!

Fiending for some Japanese curry.

Off to the Jimmy Kimmel show this afternoon, again helping prep tracks/programming for Ke$ha and band, and to help w/ broadcast mix. The Ke$ha thing is a bizarre gig for me, but I really like her personally...she's a good time. And it's fun to help with something normally so far outside my lexicon. Oh - and it pays. So there.

I wonder how long it's going to be before I scream bloody murder and tell my manager that I want to tour again. He's going to be bummed, but I can't stop the fire. I'm guessing 4/11. Just a guess.

That's it for Monday, 11/22!

JMJ

2. botley

botley

Aug 14, 2008
    Right on, Justin, glad to hear you are getting steady and interesting work. It's strange how I hear about these things through the online NIN fan world, but heard them I did: Ke$ha is/was (?) dating Alex Carapetis — NIN's old drummer from 2005 — have you ever met him/shared war stories from the road? I saw him play a couple of shows on that tour and liked his style very much.

What's the process like for supervising sound mixes on those TV talk show appearances? I watched A Perfect Circle play on Kimmel Live and it didn't seem to me that they were very well served by the mix; at other times I've watched bands play there that sounded just fine. How much does getting on the right side of that variation depend on collaborating with the show's regular crew? It must be weird knowing that the performance will be heard all over the place in all kinds of situations, and having to try and make it sound as good as it can in spite of all that.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    hey, if kesha called me, i'd be out there with my blonde fright wig and my danskins, too ;) that's really cool being in an md spot with two huge acts like you were this year. and f the haters...only positive can come from it, and you'd have to be an idiot to turn it down.

4. You get to do some cool stuff that's for sure!
    i wonder how much an act like Ke$ha decides on her music? I suppose Trent must be a control freak, do you actually get more liberty with an act like Ke$ha?

5. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks, Jimmy. Yeah, I make no apologies. It's fun as sh&t. Not to big up, but I got to do THREE cool MD gigs this year: K$, Charlotte Gainsbourg, and Sara Bareilles. All whilst NOT playing. Weird! But cool with me, that is, until I get the itch to tour again which will happen, like, tomorrow.

6. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Jmorbita, Ke$ha decides everything about her music that she doesn't feel like delegating to me. She is extremely hands-on. But I'm grateful that she also trusts me implicitly. She looks to me to update her sound from the record and use cooler gear, make it clubbier and/or more punk, what have you.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    you can tour. i'll take the three talented and lovely babes hanging onto my every word any day of the week. when do you want me to start?

:bassist:

8. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Love the update! Cool news about the Ke$ha MD gig!

9. kevbass5

kevbass5

Jan 18, 2008
    most triumphant.

10. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    That keyboard rig you constructed for her is simply too cool--love it!