1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Money (Pink Floyd) programming/effect/patch for GT1B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by markythesparky, Oct 17, 2020.

1. markythesparky

markythesparky

Oct 17, 2020
    Hi,

Is it possible to emulate the bass pedal sound used for Floyd's Money using a Boss GT1B pedal? I'm sure Walters used a pedal/s that would cost a fortune to purchase nowadays and realise I am not going to get a true match, but any way of programming something that sounds remotely similar would be amazing.
    Thanks in advance, Mark.

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Do you have a link to your source, that Waters used pedals on that track? Just sounds to me like his normal, unaffected P-bass tone.

Here is the isolated track:

And lots of good info here:
    Gear Rundown: Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon

3. markythesparky

markythesparky

Oct 17, 2020
    Thanks very much Mushroo for the links, which are both really useful. As a relatively new bass player I just assumed a pedal was used with the bass when recording Money. Think I'll just have to accept that my £800 bass, £400 amp and 18 months playing experience are not going to generate the same incredible tone as produced by Maestro Waters!

BrentSimons and Mushroo like this.
  4. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    No pedals, just a multi-million dollar world class studio. P bass with flats (I think) and a pick.

There's a lesson in here somewhere about understanding what you're hearing on big recordings, vis a vis managing expectations, but I've not had enough coffee to actually get around to making a coherent point.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    BrentSimons, Collin Bass and Mushroo like this.
  5. markythesparky

markythesparky

Oct 17, 2020
    Point well made; lesson learnt! Cheers NKBassman.

BrentSimons and NKBassman like this.
  6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    A P or even a J with rounds will get you 99% there. I personally think Money sounds great on a Jazz bass.

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Rotosound flatwound strings on a Precision Bass nails Waters’ tone on Money all day long… No special effects necessary. ;)

9. Hi,
    No special effect on this title. A PB ( you can just cut the bridge pickup in order to emule this), a pick... You can also cut Bass and Treeble, and boost Mediums in order to get this sound.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021