1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

monitor advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimmyb, Mar 14, 2013.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb An Avid Indoorsman Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Elkton, MD
    Need to hear myself a little better. Considering a personal monitor to sit right in front of me blasting only bottom end. Can any1 recommend a decent monitor that handles bass (4/5/6 strings) well?
    Please be specific about the +/- of each one, as well as price point if u can...

2. The number or strings doesn't really matter as long as it handles the low "B" the others are easy since most will do a low "E" without a problem.

Do you want a bass amp or a powered monitor? Do you have a pre that you want to use?

Just need more information as to your situation.

3. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Are we talking about taking a monitor feed from the house PA, or a bass amp to serve as a stage monitor?

If you're just talking a stage monitor for bass only, any decent tiltback bass combo should work.

But if you're thinking about a powered wedge to accept a FOH aux send, I would recommend the QSC K12's.
    - Nice smooth response, gives you a clear idea of what's happening at FOH.
    - Do double-duty as a great FOH speaker for small gigs.
    - Also suitable for guitar, keys, vocals, home audio.
    - Plenty of power handling
    - Don't need a lot of EQ.
    - Reliable, easy to carry.
    - I like the way my basses sound through them- low B is not a problem.

The only minus that comes to mind, is the cost; $850 at MF.

4. I would be checking out the greenboy fEARless 112. Small, light, kick back wedge. Can be used as a stand alone bass cab, or as a floor monitor.

Will handle a B string all day.