Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Monitor style speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 24, 2005.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Who makes the best bass monitor speaker? This design seems like a great idea to me as we play small clubs and always have PA support. These are some that I know of but have not tried:
    Eden
    Glockenklang
    Markbass
    Mesa (made one in the diesel series)

Please give reviews if you can!

2. bleepo

bleepo

Feb 6, 2003
    Calgary
    I've never tried it, but Ampeg makes one in a 210 setup too.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, that´s right. I read the review in Bass Player. Seemed nice.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm not sure if it's still in production, but bag end used to make a monitor version of the S15X-D (S15XF-D???). i heard them a couple of times, and the bass player from darik and the funbags (darik) uses one. they sounded pretty darned good IIRC, and were nice and small.

I also heard a bag end TA-12F which was a floor monitor version of the TA-12 (since upgraded to the TA-2000 series) both that and the TA-12jr (since upgraded to the TA-1000) are great for bass as well.

all three are prety compact (more so than the cabs they are based upon) and do well as standard bass cabs by placing them upside down so they sit on a flat surface and project straight into the audience. If you can find any of them used i think you'd be pleased.

personally, if i was looking for a floor monitor far bass i would prefer the TA12jr/TA1000 floor monitor as those are probably the smallest cabs of the three and still do very well for bass reproduction (not the most low end, but you'll hear yourself clearly).

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    this might also be one of those times when a DIY cab might be a good idea to mull around. eminence makes plenty of great drivers, and you woun't have to be quite as worried about thiele/small parameters and ideal box size as you're looking to be able to hear yourslef, not to achieve the best tone in the world.

if i was going to go that route, i'd skip the crossover and tweeter, and look for a high output 12" that i could stuff into a relatively small and lightweight box.

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks.
    Bag End has a version of the coaxial s15 in a monitor format. That looks real nice.
    I want this monitor to be able to fill our rehesal room alone so I do need some lows and I dont think a single 12 will make it.

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I'm a fan of the "tilt" method, in which I use several "aids" to achieve consistant results. In my mind tilting reduces the common surface area between the cab and the stage and reducing the need to roll off the bass to adjust for a boomy or poorly built stage. On a solid surface or diffused stage I ground my cabs back to their natural position, for me it's a very basic way to compensate for the room with minimal EQ. Yes I know how Low Tech this is but it really helps when you play a diverse range of venues with variable PA support..

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    BTW what brands of PA monitors could I look at that dont cost a fortune?

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not too many that handle the bass well..........

BTW, if low end is what you're looking for, you wouldn't be dissapointed with the TA-12/2000 floor monitor. it probably has as much low end as the S15, and it has a different midrange character, which to my ears, tends to increase the apparent lows relative to a bag end S15.

as lowphatbass mentioned, you could always tilt a conventional cabinet using a variety of stuff. if you have any woodworking skills, you could probably fabricate some kind of stand sor a particular cabinet to tilt it to the degree you wanted.

10. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks, I have built cabs in the past so that is definately an option. But it is always quite a guess of how it will sound when finished.

11. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
  12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    What about some of the tiltback combos instead of powered monitors? Like Harke or the GK lines? Tech21 used to have a powered bass wedge. God forbid, Behringer has some new combos coming out that (if I remember correctly) have a tilt feature.

Going that route gives a bass combo amp you could use elsewhere.

13. MazeMouse

MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    Maybe, MarkBass???

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Markbass. mmmmmm

Lovin my F-1 Little Mark head.