1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Monitors in a live performance situation ZED 10fx

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Jun 5, 2017.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I bought this mixer for use with powered speakers in small-medium gig situation.

Use is live band with up to 3 vocals, sometimes sax, and the usual drums, bass, guitar. Instruments will use amps and not go into the board except for sax.

I'm trying to figure out if I can get 3 monitor sends to 3 different powered monitors the guys can use.

So far I'm seeing RCA "monitor outs, right and left", "Aux" output and then headphone out. I'm assuming 1/4" monitor speaker inputs (I have a Galaxy hotspot that accepts 1/4" input.

I'm not the brightest bulb on the planet with live sound mixers, etc. I got such a great deal on this mixer, I couldn't turn it down, but I should have figured out the monitor situation before I bought it. Any input would be appreciated. I've searched Youtube and Google without success.

csm_allen_and_heath_zed_fx10_top_c10d5a9b36.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    You're probably going to have to daisy chain off the monitor or aux output. Use the "thru" output of the first powered speaker to the input of the next one and so on down the line.

3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I was thinking, either that or buy a 4 way passive audio signal splitter like one Galaxy makes, then send the AUX out signal to the splitter input then I'd have 4 additional monitor sends receiving the same signal and mix which would be just fine for our application.

Galaxy Audio JIB/S 4-way 1/4" Splitter

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    You could do that.. but they'd all be the same mix. And if you want the same mix, why not just daisy-chain from one powered wedge to the next. It's just a mic cable.
    You could use the FX send on the mixer as another AUX mix - assuming you are not using the onboard FX.
    That would give you RCA, AUX, Monitor and FX outs to use as mixes.. But..
    The RCA and Monitor outs are likely a full mix, with the only adjustment being level and not channel mix... Headphone will either be on or off for each channel..
    You can use AUX/FX busses to create separate mixes.

smeet, mrpackerguy and elgecko like this.
  5. If everyone is happy with the same mix, then just use the Aux send and then daisy chain the powered monitors. Most have a "through" output

6. At just a glance....

You've got one AUX to work with. Without reading the manual, monitor may be a dupe out for mains stereo pair.

A limited board for monitors and such... Pretty much as stated above, daisy chain is the option. Everybody gets the same Crimmus... I'd keep watch for used boards with more capabilities in your area. Occasionally almost new analog boards hit Craiglist with folks buying the newer digitals like crack munkys... I've seen some mint killer analog boards for stupidly insane cheap....

Also keep watch on GC used list... I've found great deals on used equipment on GC website...

7. Go to Google search, type this in without the quotimotos "used analog mixers", and click Shopping up top...

And scroll.... That's a start... Then hit Craigslist, GC website.....

Cheap boards with multiple AUX sends are out there....

8. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I've used this board live several times. Although a great sounding little mixer, you are limited to 1 aux out (or 2 if you bypass the internal effects). That means either everyone gets the same monitor mix with reverb to use on monitors snd FOH by daisy chaining your powered speakers, or you can have 2 separate monitor mixes the use, but with no reverb on mains or monitors.