1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mono Stealth gig bag- any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by Hattie, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Hattie

Hattie

Mar 5, 2017
    Paris, France
    Hi everyone. I've been looking for a new gigbag because the old cheap one I have is slowly but surely giving up on me. I saw that the Mono Stealth would soon be available where I live and I really like it (on paper).

-It looks super cool (better than the Sleeve imo, I don't like the Sleeve's pocket at all)
    -It is very slim
    -It has improved straps (according to Mono) and back padding, as well as fun small pockets
    -It is lighter than the Vertigo (although not by a super huge margin, sadly)

BUT

-The sleeve is lighter and cheaper (and in some EU stores, the Vertigo is cheaper than the Stealth as well).

Anyway, has any of you tried the bag yet? How do you feel about it?
    The Stealth marketing is really hitting the right spots with me so I need opinions!

2. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Haven’t tried it yet, as it still isn’t available in my area,but being a big MONO fan, I’ve obviously looked at it very closely. My take on it is this:

First of all, it looks really good, like all MONO products. Nice design, super slim. It also looks fairly ergonomic, and the back panels and straps seem nice. However, the basic construction looks almost identical to that of the Bass Sleeve, but it actually has less storage space, weighs 200 grams more, and costs an extra $50. As far as I’m concerned, MONO missed the mark on this one.

IMHO, if you want to go light, get the Sleeve. You’ll get a much more practical bag with equally good protection, and save yourself some money into the bargain. Or just get the Vertigo. It’s better than both the Sleeve and the Stealth.

Goatrope, Morrighan, ppiluk and 2 others like this.
  3. Hattie

Hattie

Mar 5, 2017
    Paris, France
    Hi, thanks for the reply!
    I am worried about the weight because I walk with my bass on my back a lot; and I love it but I don't exactly have the shoulders of a lumberjack. I walk and take the bus/metro and walk some more, and that's it. No car. Storage space isn't a problem, on the contrary, I'd rather have a super slim bass bag and carry a good backpack over it if I need. I carry as little as I can.

And I am equally worried about the quality of the straps as about the weight. I have a super light bag currently and 20min into a walk my back hurts as hell because the straps are worthless and the balance of the bag is completely off. I've heard that the straps of the Vertigo/Sleeve aren't that great (they slip, are narrow etc) so I am not sure which way to go...

4. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I’m in the same position - I don’t own a car, and walk or use public transport. I actually find the straps on all the MONO bags quite comfortable, they distribute the weight well, and have comfortable, but not too heavy, padding. They are also very secure, as they’re riveted in place, With other bags I’ve often worried that the straps will be unable to take the weight. Not so with MONO. I often carry a good deal of gear, and it’s not uncommon for my Vertigo to weigh 10-11 kilos fully loaded, and the straps are still comfortable, even with extended walking. The Sleeve straps are slightly narrower, but also comfy.

5. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    It’s okay if you’re not packing heavier than a cord and a strap.

6. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Jakob, you've examined the actual product, right?

From online pictures and videos, seems the straps on the Stealth can be tucked in so they won't get tangled onto something when they're not in use, just like the M80 Classic Bass (which the M80 Vertigo Bass & M80 Sleeve Bass are lacking). Is this correct?

7. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    No, since it isn’t available here yet, I haven’t been able to examine the actual product. But I think you’re correct in thinking it has the same sort of pocket as the M80, I believe that it’s that pocket they’re referring to when they talk of «a pocket specifically for your laptop».

8. I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has got this case. I've had the M80 for a while now and some what happy with it. The neck block has started to come undone. Mono wouldn't honor their warranty because I may have ordered it from an unauthorized seller. I live in the country side of Japan and have to order everything, so stupid me shopped for the best deal online.

Besides that I'm trying to find something a little more slim, but the price difference between the sleeve and the stealth is about $80 here and was wondering if the price difference is worth it. According to Mono the only difference is the backpack straps and the back padding. I do really like the design better, but the price is off putting especially when the vertigo is $40 cheaper.

9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    could you post pictures of that neck block of your M80 which has started to come undone?

sorry for not answering your question, since I don't own the Stealth nor Sleeve. I own M80 Dual, M80 Vertigo, and a couple of M80 Classics, so I'd like to know what could go wrong with the M80 neck block.

10. If you had yours a while, it should be fine. I've had mine for more than five years now, but that didn't start happening until my first year of very light use. I'm thinking it was maybe an early production run and something that they maybe fixed later since it seems no body else has had this problem.

Attached Files:

Goatrope and Aidil like this.
  11. Hattie

Hattie

Mar 5, 2017
    Paris, France
    Hi, I started the thread a while ago. I ended up buying the Sleeve because it was way cheaper and also lighter than the Stealth.

I'm happy with my purchase. The Sleeve has got nice straps, and although the pouch design is less than ideal, I find it eventually quite useful to have some space to put a tuner, a cord etc without taking an additional bag.
    So the Sleeve is not perfect and doesn't look as cool as the Stealth but it suits my needs, and it's still pretty classy-looking. Hope it helps you with the choice!

Sorry to hear about the M80. It looks like the lining is failing, but maybe you can stitch it back?

12. I have a Vertigo with a Tick attached. I only take public transportation and couldn't be happier with my Mono setup. It is not that heavy once you have the straps properly setup. For the record, I suffer from lower back issues and even during my flare-ups, this case is still comfortable to use.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up anything Mono makes but the extra protection the Vertigo offers would make more sense. In particular, the rubber boot. This boot allows me to take my case off my back and put it down even in places that the floor or ground might be wet. I live in Canada near Toronto. We get all kinds of crazy weather from extreme cold to extreme heat and everything in between. Rain and snow are common and through it all, my Vertigo has survived it all!

13. I recently purchased a Mono Stealth as an upgrade for the gig bag that came with my Fender JMJ Mustang bass -- the bass is phenomal, but the bag is very inaccurately described by Fender as a "Deluxe Gig Bag".

My plan was to use the Stealth to transport either my Mustang or Precision bass, so my hope was for one-size to fit all. I considered the Vertigo, but decided to forgo its additional protection and bulk for the Stealth's adequate protection and streamlined design.

The bag is very well made and more than sufficiently padded to protect my bass when I transport it by car. I do like that the padding is stiff enough that the bag doesn't flop over like a wet noodle when it's empty. However, if I needed to move my bass around in a van or trailer filled with other equipment I would prefer something more protective, like the Vertigo or a hardcase.

The shoulder straps are the most comfortable I've exprienced in a gig bag, the back padding provides some airflow on my back, and the bag stays securely in place even when bending.

The variety of pockets are sufficient. I keep small items (picks, bandana) in the top pocket and use the small pocket by the hand strap to stash my wallet, keys, and phone. The main pocket is fairly large and I use it to keep a tool pouch, spare strings for each bass, strap, and Ipad. My only complaint about the main pocket is that access is tight when there is a bass in the bag. It will hold everything I described and more, but only items in the laptop sleeve are easy to access with a bass in the bag; the main part of the pocket is much easier to access when the bass is out.

As for the fit of my basses, the Precision bass fits absolutely perfectly and is a breeze to load and unload. Unfortunately, the short-scale Mustang did not fit so well. The "Headlock" neck cradle extends too far up the bag and the headstock of the Mustang rested on the cradle. After some trials with rolled-up bubble wrap, I found that a section of 3.5 inch diameter pool noodle slides easily into the bottom of the bag, provides some additional padding, and raises the Mustang to make a perfect fit in the cradle. The noodle comes out just as easily for the times I'm carrying the P-bass. (The foam pads that Mono installs in the bottom of the bag are held in place with velcro, so it would not be too difficult for them to offer "risers" that could be swapped out to use the bag with shorter scale basses.)

pmaraziti and Aidil like this.
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You can get spacer pads from Gruv Gear or Access Bags.

15. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I have an M80, and am very happy with it. I’ve owned, and currently own, a slew of Mono products, and I’ve never encountered any quality problems like the one you describe.

Looking at your picture, something seems off - the nylon material that has given way is distinctly bluish, whereas on other Mono bags I’ve seen, it’s a neutral grey. The material also looks much thinner. The stitching seems sloppy and uneven as well - certainly not the standard I would expect from Mono. There are a few Chinese copies about - is it possible that you may have got hold one of those? Some of them look very convincing.

One way you might be able to check is by looking inside the main pocket. Original Mono M80 bags have a black tag with a production number on it sewn into the seam on the left side. If there is no tag, you probably have a fake on your hands. If there is a tag, contact Mono Customer Service and quote the number. They will be able to tell you which production run it belongs to, when it was produced, and possibly even whether there were any problems with that run.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Bob_Ross and ppiluk like this.
  16. Well there is a tag with a number on it inside the large pocket. It could still be a fake, which sucks if it is as Japan is really strict about fake products and the bag wasn't that much cheaper than other ones I found. But I'm not even gonna bother contacting them about it because I have already done so twice and they told me I was poopie out of luck because I don't remember who I bought it from and if they were even an authorized seller. I've sent them similar pictures and they didn't mention anything about it looking off and being counterfeit.

Edit: It could be the lighting in the photo, but it's grey in the inside. Maybe blueish grey, but more on the grey side.

17. Make sure the pool noodle wont react with the nitro finish on the JMJ!

18. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Of course, you may also simply have been unlucky, and got a flawed product. That does happen from time to time, even with the strictest quality control. In any case, commiserations.

To return to your original question, I'm not sure if the extra cash is worth it for the Stealth. Structurally speaking it's the same bag as the Sleeve, with the same level of protection. The main difference is in the pockets and the straps, and while the straps make for a more comfortable carry, the Sleeve is plenty comfy on its own, as well as having a more usable pocket, IMO. It does look very sleek, but if it were me, I would get the Sleeve instead, and save some money.

phangtonpower likes this.
  19. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Hi OtroRob,

Could you confirm that the backpack straps can be tucked in?

20. Yes, the straps can be tucked in. The pads on the back are stitched to a sleeve that is open on the top and bottom, so the back straps can be unbuckled and slid behind the sleeve then reconnected and tightened to lay flat.

Aidil likes this.