1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mono to stereo adapter

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by OriginalCrash, Feb 7, 2009.

1. So this may sound strange, but it's what I need... An adapter/cable to take a mono, line level, TS 1/4" signal and essentially just double it... sending that same mono signal to both sides of a stereo, TRS 1/4" plug. Is there such a thing?

Brian

2. Something like this...?

Capture.

Though this would be kinda complicated for what I want... This way I'd have to take the signal from the single mono cable and split it... only to use this to combine the (identical) channels back into one cable... Am I making this more complicated than it should be?

Brian

3. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Yeah, it is VERY simple. connect two 1/4" cords onto one 1/4" end, and you will have what you want. The above cable would not work, as it is what is known as a TRS to TS insert. It would route one of the TS to the ring on the send, not the tip, as your need.
    Terms:
    TS = Tip - Sleeve
    TRS = Tip - Ring - Sleeve
    Insert cable - Send to an exernal processing device and return it on the same cable, on the Insert plug on the mixing console. (TRS-insert)

4. I'm not really a make-your-own-cables wiz... Any commercially available cables for what I want?

Brian

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Easier than using two cords-- take a regular guitar cable, chop off and strip one end. Take a new TRS plug, and solder the shield of the cable to the TRS plug's shield tab. Then take the center wire of the cable and split it into two thinner bundles. Solder one of those halves to the tip tab and the other half to the ring tab of the TRS. Use extra wire and heat-shrink tubing as needed. Done!

Edit: sorry, I was still typing when you posted 'no DIY'.

6. Why?

Wait, one mono TS to parallel mono on one TRS? There may not be such a thing 'till you make it.

TS sleeve to TRS sleeve. TS tip to TRS tip, and ring. There should be room to jumper tip to ring inside the TRS plug. It's must be unbalanced to unbalanced, so one conductor shield cable is good. Canare GS6, is what I use. Mark the cable hella good, cuz it'll be a freak, that might not play well plugged in anywhere else.

Edit: what bongo said

7. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I don't see what he's asking for on that page.

9. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    YM2M, plug your regular 1/4" cord, into that, and you have exactly what he wants, but no, I dont think anyone makes what he was asking for. As suggested by a number of people here, it would be really easy to make one, but if he needs somthing pre made, thats the closest he will get. At least from whirlwind.

10. If anyone's curious why I want this (or if it helps explain), I'm looking to create a "stereo" input signal for a headphone amp that requires it... otherwise sound will only come from one earphone. Thanks for the answers so far, though!

Brian

11. Mads

Mads Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Oslo, Norway
    What headphone amp are you using?

12. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    how about using a simple splitter box..about 20 bucks
    or a stereo fx box like a chorus..
    this will get you there

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Do you actually have one signal source or two?

14. One. And it's a mono source. But what I'm plugging it into is a stereo input and if it's not a stereo signal going into it, then it will only put out one channel... In other words, instead of getting the sound out of both earphones, it'll only come out of one.

Brian

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    So you just need a mono (TS) plug on one end and a stereo (TRS) on the other, is that correct?

16. I had this problem with my Shergold which is stereo.

What I did was to buy a stereo to dual mono cable and then buy a dual mono-single mono adaptor. These are little boxes with a mono plug on one end and two sockets for the two mono plugs on the cable.

I then put the stereo end in my bass, and then put the adaptor on. I could then feed it into a mono source.

I'm sure this would work the opposite way round...

17. Hi.

That's the way I read it.

Again, a DIY mod to a TRS/TRS cable would be the easiest way. Perhaps Your local tech can make one for you.

If he uses a TRS/TRS plug cable, make sure he marks the bass end and connects the ring to the sleeve on that end. Otherwise there's a 50/50 chance that it works for every time You plug in and if the ring and the sleeve aren't connected, most active basses will be really silent ;).

Still a stereo cable with a TRS on one end and a TS on the other end would be the cheapest solution.

Learning how to make/repair cables is really something every player should know how to do. Saves quite a bit time and money in the long run.

Regards
    Sam

18. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Wouldn't just using a simple 1/4" TS to 2 - 1/4" TS Y cable work? I mean doesn't the TS plug inserted into a TRS jack send the same signal to each channel of the TRS jack? I thought the problem was when you plugged a TRS plug into a TS jack...