Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moon Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Hey,
    ive seen a few of these on the net and the bass player in sydney used to have one but it sold before i got to check it out? i know larry graham played/plays one, but any more info on them? are they still made or are they a bit of a rarity? are they any good?

heres one ive fallen in love with...but its in canada or some foreign place like that :p

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    They look a tad dull for my tastes, but hey.. looks aren't everything.

3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I guess they are fairly rare, I haven't seen many up for sale in the past few years. I lucked into this one last year, very well made and sounds great.

[​IMG]

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    What wood is that, or is it just the stain that gives it that look?

The name rings a bell, and i played a jazz (similar to the pic you posted heath) at bass centre here in Melbourne. It was nothing special, and nothing really jumped out at me though. They seemd quite sturdy though.

5. im jelous now..but i want an all white one :p, i got a pic of larry graham with one that looks like a marcus miller sig..ill scan it later

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That's where Marcus got the Idea from! Marcus was a huge Graham fan after he learned how to thump in the early to mid 70's.

7. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
  8. heres the pic, i scanned it from the larry graham and graham central station anthology, the jam..booklet...

must tell ya..i like the moon bass better than marcus's fender, main reason the all white with white binding and mirror pickguard, how much did you pay for yours

9. I have one.. a JJ160M Moon Jazz, with Barts and NTBT circuit. Ash body, and 3 piece maple neck. someone told me that there is a graphite bar in the neck, but I can't verify it. I got it for 15,000 pesos, roughly $300.. but boy, is she a beauty! I owned a MIJ and MIA Fender Jazz, and the Moon could blow them away! :eek:
    i only have high praises for Moon. Hope that they could reach more players. Here's a link that might help-

http://www.tcgakki.com/smashfolder/inst/bass/a-Japan.html

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    They're great basses. Boutique all the way. Here'a a pic of one I owned for about a year or more. I loved that bass. I sold it only b/c I had to switch back to 4's.

Oh yeah... Here'e the Moon web page. I'm not sure if they are made to the same level of quality as they once were. I thought I heard about personnel changes in the company or them having been sold to a parent company but they may still be very nice.

http://www.moon-guitar.co.jp/

11. :bawl: i wanna moon jazz now :bawl:
    screw fender

this one or an all white one please
    [​IMG]

12. I wonder if Fender has tried making a Larry Graham sig bass.

I would so buy one though. :hyper:

13. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
    the JJ-160's cost over $2000aus
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like an atk'ish copy
    [​IMG]

14. if someone was gonna make a larry graham sig it'd have to be moon basses, probably....i like the slanted neck pup

15. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Check Ishibashi they've always got a few. I know the j pickup ones use moon pickups and pre-amp. The soapbar one, the brown stain one bdgotoh posted, has kent armstrong pickups, moon pre-amp and to my knowledge a titanium truss rod. I wouldn't mind having one, but seeing as I already have a J-style bass odds are i should divesify a bit. They are cheap used for $850 and below. Well at least cheap in the high end bass market. Also, would the slanted neck pick-up offer more low end, and tighter highs, at least with that angle?

16. ive played another j-style bass, no brand/make names anywhere to be seen with barts and a passive eq and it sounded so damn nice slapping with the neck pup soloed...jsut had to start playin hair and the jam :p

17. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    There's one on Ebay now....[​IMG]

18. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    ohh, wait you own that DJB? How do those soapbar pickups sound? I've always been interesting in how soapbar pickups sound compared to normal single coils.

19. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I have a Moon Climb 250 5 string great Bass huge sound, its my number 1 for sure.